cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
GringoInMiami
Level: Powered On

Changing Home Screen Causes Issue with On Start Actions

When replacing the original Home Screen with another screen, where the original contains On Start actions, the app continues to reference the original Home Screen for the App.OnStart function. In fact, if the original Home Screen is deleted and the new Home Screen contains the same On Start actions, they are not executed and any variables or collections are blank/empty.

This is definitely a bug.

2018-09-14_11-10-14.png2018-09-14_11-29-57.png

4 REPLIES 4
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Changing Home Screen Causes Issue with On Start Actions

Hi @GringoInMiami,

Thanks for the feedback.

It seems the OnStart property will not work consistently with the screen action, like duplicate, delete or move up/down.

Please consider switch to Onvisible property as a temporary workaround.

I will send the feedback regarding the OnStart property from my side, and update here if I have got any response back.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
BrianR
Level 10

Have seen this as well.

The most common "work around" to things like this is to Save the app in studio, exit, and reload.

Unfortunately I find myself doing this several times a day to work around some of the quirks like this (and there are a number of them) where things that did work suddenly don't.  But a reload of studio often seems to resolve many of them.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @GringoInMiami,

Thanks @BrianR for the reminder. The symptom should be fixed after a reload. So it is recommended to take re-check the configured formula after a reload.

The OnStart property has the following explanation documented:

Quoted:

"

OnStart – The behavior of the app when the user opens the app.

• The formula to which this property is set runs before the first screen of the app appears. Call the Navigate function to change which screen appears first when the app starts.
  • You can't set context variables with the UpdateContext function because no screen has appeared yet. However, you can pass context variables in the Navigate function and create and fill a collection by using the Collect function.
  • When you update an app, the formula to which this property is set runs when the app is loaded into PowerApps Studio. To see the impact of changing this property, you'll need to save, close, and reload your app.
  • The OnStart property is actually a property of the app, not the screen. For editing convenience, you view and modify it as a property on the first screen of your app. If you remove the first screen or reorder screens, this property may become hard to find. In this case, save, close, and reload your app, and the property will reappear as a property of the first screen.

"

Regards,

Mcihael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
GringoInMiami
Level: Powered On

I've already tried all the suggestions but the issue remains. The ONLY solution I've found so far is to rename the variables and collections.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Coming Soon: T-Shirt Design Contest

Keep your eyes open for our upcoming T-shirt design contest!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,426)