Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HarishNayak
Helper I
Helper I

Check power app source

Hi All,

I have created a canvas app and linked it to sharepoint list. I have shared this app with other users.

Is it possible for the users of this app to know the sharepoint list to which this app is connected. My idea is to keep the list and its name hidden from users using this app. So trying to understand if there is a way some user (smart user :)) would be able to somehow get to know the list or the link to the sharepoint list.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LRVinNC
Super User
Super User

If the app was built as a "freestanding app" (not under a Teams site) and was shared to others as a user (not Co-owner) via simply the app's URL, I can't think of a way they could readily determine the underlying list.  If the app was shared as a co-owner, then they could definitely figure it out by editing the app, but if safeguarding this information was your goal it is highly unlikely you would have shared the app with the user as a co-owner.  Share as User would be the logical choice.

If the app was built on a SharePoint list created inside a Teams site,  and the app as linked to the Team, perhaps on a tab, it might be possible for the savvy user to open the SharePoint associated with the Teams site and see the lists that exist in the SharePoint site associated to the Team.  If they viewed the data in the lists, they might be able to infer the associated app although there still would be nothing explicit to say the app runs on a specific list.  

I can't speak to this if the app was created using Dataverse as I have not yet used Dataverse.  

LRVinNC

------------------
Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
LRVinNC
Super User
Super User

If the app was built as a "freestanding app" (not under a Teams site) and was shared to others as a user (not Co-owner) via simply the app's URL, I can't think of a way they could readily determine the underlying list.  If the app was shared as a co-owner, then they could definitely figure it out by editing the app, but if safeguarding this information was your goal it is highly unlikely you would have shared the app with the user as a co-owner.  Share as User would be the logical choice.

If the app was built on a SharePoint list created inside a Teams site,  and the app as linked to the Team, perhaps on a tab, it might be possible for the savvy user to open the SharePoint associated with the Teams site and see the lists that exist in the SharePoint site associated to the Team.  If they viewed the data in the lists, they might be able to infer the associated app although there still would be nothing explicit to say the app runs on a specific list.  

I can't speak to this if the app was created using Dataverse as I have not yet used Dataverse.  

LRVinNC

------------------
Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

HenryARPhillips
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi,

Not easily but I was able to determine the list by way of Edge developer tools as an example but again I can't see this being done or why someone would do this as you are implying that they should have access by way of sharing the app with them.

So I would just deal with any users using the list in the non intended fashion individually.

Thanks

Henry

HarishNayak
Helper I
Helper I

thanks @HenryARPhillips  @LRVinNC this helps

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (1,208)