cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
P-M
Helper I
Helper I

Checkboxes lose their value when editing them using a OneDrive Excel Sheet (EditForm)

Hello once again.

I am experiencing an issue that seems to lie within the fault of how PowerApps reads/saves Data out of an Excel Sheet stored in OneDrive (related to checkboxes).

I use forms to create a set of data, checkboxes working as intended, saving a "true" or "false" value with the right data format (the TRUE/FALSE data format from Excel, I have double checked this). 

The problem occures when trying to edit the data set I have just created. All values load in correctly, except the checkboxes, all of them appearing blank, giving me the error that they require a "true" or "false" value. 

P-M_0-1596544112594.png

The value is actually saved as "true", however the data format is probably loaded in a text format, not allowing the checkbox to regain its original saved value.

Below is an example showing the checkbox being empty despite the checkbox and the textbox loading the same default value, it being set to true.

P-M_1-1596544223623.png

P-M_2-1596544249360.png

(Saving the edited forms now would set each Checkbox to false, as they are now unchecked)

I believe there is no real way of working around this issue. The Checkbox is required to keep its current default value in order to update the EditForm correctly. However the default value cannot be loaded, making me unable to ever edit the Forms I have created within PowerApps, leaving the app I have created useless.

I am open for suggestions and possible work arounds. I was unable to find anything related and would like to keep working with Checkboxes, possibly seeing this issue fixed altogether.

Thank you for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-siky-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @P-M ,

It seems that ThisItems.SoftclientundHeadset code returns a Text value of "True", rather than a Boolean value of true.

The workaround is to apply the if logic to check the return text is "True" or "False" and then output the Boolean value, please try this.

If(ThisItems.SoftclientundHeadset="True", true, false) // Default property of Check box.

Hope this helps.

Sik

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-siky-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @P-M ,

It seems that ThisItems.SoftclientundHeadset code returns a Text value of "True", rather than a Boolean value of true.

The workaround is to apply the if logic to check the return text is "True" or "False" and then output the Boolean value, please try this.

If(ThisItems.SoftclientundHeadset="True", true, false) // Default property of Check box.

Hope this helps.

Sik

View solution in original post

Thank you for your reply Sik.

When I've tried something similar like this, it didn't seem to work on the first try.

However after a few tests, it does seem to actually work.

I've always double checked the datas value with a text box, it giving contradicting Information, telling me that Data is being saved incorrectly. 

P-M_3-1596696433353.png

This is what confused me (This was after saving the data set and editing it again, ofcourse). 

Upon checking the Excel file itself, the checkboxes seem to show the actual value, Hardware being set to True and Softclient being set to False.

With your method all my problems seem to be solved.

Checkboxes that were true upon being saved stay true when they are edited and all data is saved correctly.

While this workaround proves to be useful and help in this kind of situation, I'd rather like if checkboxes were to simply load in the data were fed originally without having to create a workaround for each single one.

Again, thank you for your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Power Apps Community Call Jan. 2022 768x460.png

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, January 19th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,750)