cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advocate I
Advocate I

Checking a Text Input against a SharePoint List

Hi, 

I am trying to set up an email blacklist in powerapps. I have a list of emails in SharePoint that I do not want submitting a form through my powerapp so when they enter their email in the email submission box I have set up and it matches an email on the SharePoint list, I want to send an error message to the screen. How can I put this check into the powerapp? Is there a way to check a text input in a powerapp against a SharePoint list?

Thanks in advance for the help! 

5 REPLIES 5
Super User II
Super User II

Yes, once the user enters his/her email, do a lookup to see if the email exists in your SP list. If it does, set a variable to false. You can then use that variable to hide it disable other things (like form submit button) as needed. You can also use that variable to make a label visible (which is hidden by default) and the text on that label can be the error message that you want to display to the user.

If you like this reply, please give kudos. If this answers your question, please accept this as a solution. Thanks!

Hardit (Haman)
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jviernes ,

First of all, what is the column type of your email column in this list? I assume that it is a text column, then please set below formula in the OnSelect property of your submit button to achieve this:

If(IsBlank(Lookup(ListName,EmailColumnName=TextInput1.Text)),SubmitForm(Form1),Notify( "You cannot use this email address.", NotificationType.Error ))

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-monli-msft

My SharePoint list is named "Email Blacklist" and the column is just a single text column in the list called "Blacklist". The text input is named "ParentEmailAddress". 

It is not recognizing the column name "Blacklist" and is throwing an error for that part. 

Any suggestion on how to appropriately name the column name in the formula?

Thanks!

I set up the formula as:

If(IsBlank(Lookup('Email Blacklist',Blacklist=ParentEmailAddress.Text)),SubmitForm(DataPage),Notify( "You cannot use this email address.", NotificationType.Error ))

Hi @jviernes ,

This formula should work as expected. What issue did you run into?

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This solution worked! I just had a typo when entering the formula. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call- January

Mark your calendars and join us for the next Power Apps Community Call on January 20th, 8a PST

PP Bootcamp Carousel

Global Power Platform Bootcamp

Dive into the Power Platform stack with hands-on sessions and labs, virtually delivered to you by experts and community leaders.

secondImage

Power Platform Community Conference On Demand

Watch Nick Doelman's session from the 2020 Power Platform Community Conference on demand!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (10,252)