cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jviernes
Level: Powered On

Checking a Text Input against a SharePoint List

Hi, 

I am trying to set up an email blacklist in powerapps. I have a list of emails in SharePoint that I do not want submitting a form through my powerapp so when they enter their email in the email submission box I have set up and it matches an email on the SharePoint list, I want to send an error message to the screen. How can I put this check into the powerapp? Is there a way to check a text input in a powerapp against a SharePoint list?

Thanks in advance for the help! 

5 REPLIES 5
PowerAddict
Level 10

Re: Checking a Text Input against a SharePoint List

Yes, once the user enters his/her email, do a lookup to see if the email exists in your SP list. If it does, set a variable to false. You can then use that variable to hide it disable other things (like form submit button) as needed. You can also use that variable to make a label visible (which is hidden by default) and the text on that label can be the error message that you want to display to the user.

If you like this reply, please give kudos. If this answers your question, please accept this as a solution. Thanks!

Hardit (Haman)
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @jviernes ,

First of all, what is the column type of your email column in this list? I assume that it is a text column, then please set below formula in the OnSelect property of your submit button to achieve this:

If(IsBlank(Lookup(ListName,EmailColumnName=TextInput1.Text)),SubmitForm(Form1),Notify( "You cannot use this email address.", NotificationType.Error ))

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
jviernes

@v-monli-msft

My SharePoint list is named "Email Blacklist" and the column is just a single text column in the list called "Blacklist". The text input is named "ParentEmailAddress". 

It is not recognizing the column name "Blacklist" and is throwing an error for that part. 

Any suggestion on how to appropriately name the column name in the formula?

Thanks!

I set up the formula as:

If(IsBlank(Lookup('Email Blacklist',Blacklist=ParentEmailAddress.Text)),SubmitForm(DataPage),Notify( "You cannot use this email address.", NotificationType.Error ))

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @jviernes ,

This formula should work as expected. What issue did you run into?

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
jviernes

This solution worked! I just had a typo when entering the formula. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,844)