cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhumml
Level: Powered On

Checking if a Person is already addet do a field in SharePoint

Hi,

I have a people column in SharePoint where I can add multiple people to a field. Now I want to check in PowerApps whether a person is already in this field. If not, the person is added to the field (already coded).

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jhumml

Re: Checking if a Person is already addet do a field in SharePoint

Hi @TopShelf-MSFT,

no solution above worked out for me. So now i changed my multiselect-person-column to another Sharepoint list where i save the person with the ID of the field as the title. This works perfect for me even if its not a clean solution.

Best regards.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
SkiDK
Level 8

Hey @jhumml 

You could just do a Filter search on the table to see if this person exists and see if the seqrch is empty. The IsEmpty() will return true if the Filter search has no results to return, meaning that this person does not exist in the table. The if function will then on 'true' execute the code to add the person to the table. If return false, meaning person does existm do nothing or add code to take other measures.

If( IsEmpty( Filter( DATASOURCE_TABLE, person = vPersonToAdd)), ADD PERSON CODE ) )

I hope this helps

jhumml

Good idea, I think that's the right approach,

but my next problem is that the person in the column and the User() are different argument types.

IsEmpty(Filter(DATASOURCE_TABLE, columnName = User()))

It gives me the error: "Invalid argument type"

even if I write

IsEmpty(Filter(DATASOURCE_TABLE, columnName.Email = User().Email))))

it gives me the same error.

I think that's because in columName there could be more than one person, therefore it's a different argument type. but idk.

SkiDK
Level 8

I'm not sure how your table is constructed. Do you have a column 'Name' in which records get stored for each added person? If so, you should do the next:

IsEmpty(Filter(DATASOURCE_TABLE, personName = User().FullName))

'DATASOURCE_TABLE' is the source you need to search in. 'personName' is the title of the column in which you can only store the name of the user, and not the object User. When you call User(), you'll call an object of the user that contains different variables. But if you want to search on the name of the user, you should get the proper variable from the object: thus you need to extract the FullName from the User. 

jhumml

My column type is "Person or Group" and I have checked the "Allow multiple selection" box.
I tried to write each person's name in a text column using flow. But it turned out to be a more difficult problem.

I just want to check if a Person is already present in a multiselect Person Field.
I have the feeling that the rest of Microsoft can't handle multiselect person columns. 

SkiDK
Level 8

Okay, so just to get clear. You have a table that contains a column "Person or Group". In every record there is a field for this column where you can add one or more persons, right?

So now you have a name of a person, and you want to check if it already exists in that field of a certain record?

You also want to be able to display all of the names of that field of a certain record?

jhumml

@SkiDK wrote:

Okay, so just to get clear. You have a table that contains a column "Person or Group". In every record there is a field for this column where you can add one or more persons, right?

Exactly, or leave it empty

So now you have a name of a person, and you want to check if it already exists in that field of a certain record?

Basically the user who uses my app has to add himself by pressing a button, but first i have to check if he is already in that field so he doesnt add himself twice. SharePoint itself doesnt let that happen but i have other code which needs that. I thought this would be the easiest way but i've been trying to change my code for 3 hours now.

You also want to be able to display all of the names of that field of a certain record?

Yes

Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @jhumml 

In reference to this other thread posted by you:

If you do not want current user to be added again, you can modify your expression as:

ClearCollect(ExistingUsers,If(!(User().Email in LookUp(UserList,Title = "test").PersonField.Email),Table({'@odata.type':"#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedUser",
        Claims:"i:0#.f|membership|" & User().Email,
    Department:"",
   DisplayName:User().FullName,
         Email:User().Email,
      JobTitle:"",
       Picture:""
   })),LookUp(SPList,Title = "test").PersonField);
Patch(SPListName,LookUp(SPListName,Title = "test"),{PersonField:ExistingUsers})

This expression could be modified if you donot want to use the current user in this case, you just need to update the If condition.

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!
TopShelf-MSFT
Level 10

Hi @jhumml how are you progressing with this?

@TopShelf-MSFT 

jhumml

Hi @TopShelf-MSFT,

no solution above worked out for me. So now i changed my multiselect-person-column to another Sharepoint list where i save the person with the ID of the field as the title. This works perfect for me even if its not a clean solution.

Best regards.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,070)