cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Child list populating cascading dropdown in parent list form - need the values from dropdown to feed to parent list

I have a child list I use for my cascading dropdown values in my parent list form.  I chose this way because the columns have duplicate values depending on your selections

question.PNG

I have my function setup as followed for the 3 dropdown fields (and it works great!)

1. Distinct(Types, 'Type')
  2. Sort(Distinct(Filter(Types,'Type'=Dropdown1.Selected.Value),'Sub-Type'),Result)
  3. Sort(Distinct(Filter(Types,'Type'=Dropdown1.Selected.Value, 'Sub-Type'=Dropdown2.Selected.Value),'Type Category'),Result)

The problem I can't seem to resolve is when data is submitted the child dropdown values does not populate the parent list with the dropdown selection.  How can I get that to work?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Child list populating cascading dropdown in parent list form - need the values from dropdown to feed to parent list

Hi @Anonymous ,

Which type columns do you use to store the three Dropdown selected values within your Parent List? Choice type columns?

I assume that you use three individual Choice type columns to store the three child Dropdown selected values, is it true?

I have made a test on my side, and don't have the issue that you mentioned, please take a try with the following workaround:

Within the Edit form (parent list form), set the Update property of the Data card which contains the first Dropdown box to following:

{
   Value: Dropdown1.Selected.Result
}

set the Update property of the Data card which contains the second Dropdown box to following:

{
   Value: Dropdown2.Selected.Result
}

set the Update property of the Data card which contains the third Dropdown box to following:

{
   Value: Dropdown3.Selected.Result
}

If you use three individual Single text columns to store the three child Dropdown selected values, please take a try with the following workaround:

Within the Edit form (parent list form), set the Update property of the Data card which contains the first Dropdown box to following:

Dropdown1.Selected.Result

set the Update property of the Data card which contains the second Dropdown box to following:

Dropdown2.Selected.Result

set the Update property of the Data card which contains the third Dropdown box to following:

Please take a try with above solution, check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Child list populating cascading dropdown in parent list form - need the values from dropdown to feed to parent list

Hi @Anonymous ,

Which type columns do you use to store the three Dropdown selected values within your Parent List? Choice type columns?

I assume that you use three individual Choice type columns to store the three child Dropdown selected values, is it true?

I have made a test on my side, and don't have the issue that you mentioned, please take a try with the following workaround:

{
   Value: Dropdown1.Selected.Result
}

{
   Value: Dropdown2.Selected.Result
}

{
}

If you use three individual Single text columns to store the three child Dropdown selected values, please take a try with the following workaround:

Dropdown1.Selected.Result

Dropdown2.Selected.Result

Please take a try with above solution, check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!  this worked perfectly!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,374)