cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CSilva
Advocate I
Advocate I

Choosing a specific column from a sharepoint list in a dropdown

I am currently making a dropdown list that is multilingual. I have a column with the options in English, a column with the options in Spanish, and a column with an item identifier. 

I also have a Radio button that changes the language from English to Spanish. The issue that I am running into is if I put List.Spanish or List.English as the item for the dropdown (based on the language selected), I cannot collect the text from the item identifier column. I get an error saying I am collecting an error type instead of a data type. 

Is there a way to format the dropdown so I can switch between columns, but still collect the appropriate item identifier based on what is selected? Thank you very much

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BCBuizer
Super User
Super User

Hi @CSilva ,

I managed to get something like what you described to work with a Combo Box:

BCBuizer_0-1669045998293.png

BCBuizer_1-1669046023361.png

For this I have set the DisplayFields property of the combobox to: 

If(
    Radio2.Selected.Value = "English",
    ["English"],
    Radio2.Selected.Value = "Spanish",
    ["Spanish"]
)

Because this didn't immediately update the text in the combo box when changing the selection in the Radio control I added a data source refresh to the OnChange property of the Radio control:

Refresh(Test)

Did you like my post? Please give it a thumbs up! Did I resolve your issue? Please click Accept as Solution to close the topic and so other members of the community can find solutions more easily.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BCBuizer
Super User
Super User

Hi @CSilva ,

I managed to get something like what you described to work with a Combo Box:

BCBuizer_0-1669045998293.png

BCBuizer_1-1669046023361.png

For this I have set the DisplayFields property of the combobox to: 

If(
    Radio2.Selected.Value = "English",
    ["English"],
    Radio2.Selected.Value = "Spanish",
    ["Spanish"]
)

Because this didn't immediately update the text in the combo box when changing the selection in the Radio control I added a data source refresh to the OnChange property of the Radio control:

Refresh(Test)

Did you like my post? Please give it a thumbs up! Did I resolve your issue? Please click Accept as Solution to close the topic and so other members of the community can find solutions more easily.

For some reason, this solution only works for one column. When the radio button is on Spanish, it works, but when I switch to English, I get nothing but blanks for each item. 

BCBuizer
Super User
Super User

Hi @CSilva ,

Can you share what you are doing? Below is the set-up that is working for me:

BCBuizer_0-1669048275958.png

CSilva
Advocate I
Advocate I

Thank you for the help. The issue was that my "English" column was labeled field_0 in Powerapps for some reason. Now it is working. 

BCBuizer
Super User
Super User

Hi @CSilva ,

Perhaps your list was created using an Excel file as a template... 

Glad to hear it is working for you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Community Call Conversations

Introducing the Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,592)