cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Choosing my data source

I am creating an App to manage some expenses, which will be mostly for reading, editting, and creating observations. I have estimated that the data will increase significantly (lets say, 100,000 observations every 6 months), I discarted SP lists because they are a pain in personal experience (I haven't used them in a while though, but I have developped at least 6 complex apps with them).

Additionally, I would like to set this App so it is enteprise-based rather than having an excel in OneDrive somewhere (an Excel in a DataLake works though).

Where could I host the information from this App? I am having mostly negative responses to my requests to create Azure-SQL databases from my local IT department, and after looking everywhere for alternatives I think I might have had reached a dead-end. 

The caveat is that I have to consider costs and licensing. Despite having some budget, I am trying to look for the best solution which doest not invove flow (makes processes a bit slow to be honest).

Thanks in advance for any suggestion! I am sure a lot of people have been in this place and need some guidance on where to migrate next.

Oscar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Choosing my data source

I use Azure SQL and I think it the leading Datasource as far as Powerapps is concerned. If you are having concerns from your IT team, consider CDS 

You can read this extensive article on Datasources:

https://baizini-it.com/blog/index.php/2017/08/29/powerapps-101-data-storage/

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

I use Azure SQL and I think it the leading Datasource as far as Powerapps is concerned. If you are having concerns from your IT team, consider CDS 

You can read this extensive article on Datasources:

https://baizini-it.com/blog/index.php/2017/08/29/powerapps-101-data-storage/

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi @oscartorom1 

I would say that the CDS would provide a great solution. For enterprise-based data storage, the two options that you have are SQL Server and the CDS.

Both SQL Server and CDS data sources require a per app/per user license. Access to the CDS is included with these plans and therefore won't require any additional licensing. Unlike SQL Azure, there would be a cost in hosting the SQL Azure database. Therefore, it would work better from a cost perspective.

The CDS is also simple to use because it's built into the environment, so there's no need to configure Azure firewalls, configure SQL users, connection strings etc.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

New Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,266)