cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Rubenfmg

Choosing the right backend data

I need to create an app with user access to enter data and read it's own  data he or she entered (but now all fields of a row) and backoffice access with a dashboard.

I'm worried about give permissions to users to origin data like sharepoint list or CDS.

I have read may posts about that. First I thought that filtering data present to the user was enough but I need to give access to full data if I'm not wrong.  With Sharepoint lists I read you can give fine permissions to a row for a specific user but I like the power of use  CDS because you can create dashboards, views and forms really easy. 

It's there any difference of creating the app with SharePoint list or CDS regarding user access specific data and ease of creating dashboards?

Is there any easy way to create dashboards from sharepoint list like power app CDS app does?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WarrenBelz Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: Choosing the right backend data

Hi @Rubenfmg ,

I am SharePoint user and all of that is possible. Form what I understand CDS allows a lot of the "intelligence" to be done at the data source level, but nothing that could not be done with Filters in and Lookups in Power Apps.

There are two ways to restrict users to records. The simple one is to use the Created by to match the User().FullName (I won't get into delegation issues at the moment). The other is to have a category of record you want the user to see and using a reference table filter the data accordingly.

You also have to consider whether you want a Canvas or Model-driven app as these are very different paths.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
eka24 Community Champion
Community Champion

Details of the dashboard may be appropriate, but if you are using Power Bi to build the Dashboard, the any of the Datasource stated would be Fine.

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Community Champion

Hi @Rubenfmg ,

I am SharePoint user and all of that is possible. Form what I understand CDS allows a lot of the "intelligence" to be done at the data source level, but nothing that could not be done with Filters in and Lookups in Power Apps.

There are two ways to restrict users to records. The simple one is to use the Created by to match the User().FullName (I won't get into delegation issues at the moment). The other is to have a category of record you want the user to see and using a reference table filter the data accordingly.

You also have to consider whether you want a Canvas or Model-driven app as these are very different paths.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Rubenfmg

Hi @WarrenBelz 

I prefer model-driven app, but it's not a must.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong but even app could filter the data that is shown to users, I need to give access users to sharepoint list so they will have access to everything. It's the same for CDS backend? I need something that gives access to data only to the app, not the users directly

It's an easy app so I prefer to build the way that is simplest, fastest and good looking dashboard 😄

Community Champion

Hi @Rubenfmg ,

Yes - you need also to give users permission to use the data source.

In SharePoint, unless they know the list URL (you also do not need to include this in the site navigation) you can restrict the access fairly well to PowerApps. CDS uses Role-based Security and users cannot navigate to it anyway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons released on April 21!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power Apps Community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,213)