Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wahv
Frequent Visitor

Circumventing Circular References

Hey All,

Background:

A bit of background to this post, I do not like the form/data card layout of form design. From what I understand, you can specify the amount of columns in a form and then you're forced to work with a rigid, blocky form layout. I though I found a solution to this by making an input control for every data card, and setting the default value of the data card to the entered value of its input control. This worked just fine if I was creating a new form, but I'm stuggling with the edit form side of things. I have things set up such that I have 1 screen for entering new form information and editing form information.

Desired Result:

I would like the user to see the previous information that was entered while they edit a form.

Problem: 

Nothing shows up in the input controls that I made which makes sense because they aren't tied to any data. I tried to set their default value to the value stored in the datacard, but that creates a circular reference as my datacard's value depends on the input control's value which is now in turn dependent on the data card's value. I don't know another way to display the stored information.

Does anyone have any advice to get around this issue from a design prospective? Should I make another screen specifically for editing or is there an easier approch? I really dont like the feel of data cards but I don't know how to input information into a form without using them.

Thanks!  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @Wahv ,

I am unclear exactly how what you describe in your first paragraph differs from the standard function (the Update of any Data Card is generally the output of the input control contained in it), however if you want to see the current content of a field as well as the new content before the form is submitted,

I would like the user to see the previous information that was entered while they edit a form.

put a label, in the card with (the actual field name) and it will display what is currently in the data, even after the user enters the new information (but has not saved)

ThisItem.YourFieldName

You may need .Value after it if a Choice or Lookup field.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Visit my blog Practical Power Apps

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @Wahv ,

I am unclear exactly how what you describe in your first paragraph differs from the standard function (the Update of any Data Card is generally the output of the input control contained in it), however if you want to see the current content of a field as well as the new content before the form is submitted,

I would like the user to see the previous information that was entered while they edit a form.

put a label, in the card with (the actual field name) and it will display what is currently in the data, even after the user enters the new information (but has not saved)

ThisItem.YourFieldName

You may need .Value after it if a Choice or Lookup field.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Visit my blog Practical Power Apps

That's a great idea, thank you! Apologies for the confusion.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,761)