cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cooper01
Level 8

Clean way to get collection of weekdays with dynamic start date?

I am trying to figure out a good way to either generate a collection of weekdays based an input or by shifting a given collection based on a different start date. I can store the input as either the text value of a weekday such as "Wednesday" or the number 4. So as an example, given either Wednesday or 4 as the input, I'd want to get a collection as follows to be shown in a gallery: ["Wednesday", "Thursday", "Friday", "Saturday", "Sunday", "Monday", "Tuesday"]. Given an input of Thursday or 5, the collection would be ["Thursday", "Friday", "Saturday", "Sunday", "Monday", "Tuesday", "Wednesday"]. It is not important to have the days tied to an actual date value, just the text value of the weekday.

I have gotten this to work with a big If statement (If WeekStartDate = 1, Collect(WeekRange, "Sunday", "Monday", "Tuesday", "Wednesday", "Thursday", "Friday", "Saturday"), If(WeekStartDate = 2, Collect(WeekRange, "Monday", "Tuesday", "Wednesday", "Thursday", "Friday", "Saturday", "Sunday") .....).

I could also get this to work referencing a question I asked earlier for a different use case about generating the most recent date of a given weekday name, however I don't need this to be tied to a date. 

Wanted to check, is there a simpler way to do this than either of the above solutions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Microsoft v-siky-msft
Microsoft

Re: Clean way to get collection of weekdays with dynamic start date?

Hi @Cooper01

I come up an idea, create a weekday collection, use index ID to filter weekdays for the next 7 days , please check my steps:

1. Put following codes to OnStart property.

ClearCollect(Weekday,Table({ID:1,Value:"Sunday",Num:1}, {ID:2,Value:"Monday",Num:2}, {ID:3,Value:"Tuesday",Num:3},{ID:4,Value: "Wednesday",Num:4},{ID:5,Value: "Thursday",Num:5},{ID:6,Value:"Friday",Num:6} , {ID:7,Value:"Saturday",Num:7},{ID:8,Value:"Sunday",Num:1}, {ID:9,Value:"Monday",Num:2}, {ID:10,Value:"Tuesday",Num:3},{ID:11,Value: "Wednesday",Num:4},{ID:12,Value: "Thursday",Num:5},{ID:13,Value:"Friday",Num:6} , {ID:14,Value:"Saturday",Num:7} ))

2. Put the following code to OnChange property of text input box

Set(CurrentID,LookUp(Weekday,Num=Value(TextInput2.Text)).ID)

3. Set Items property as below:

Filter(Weekday,ID>=CurrentID,ID<=CurrentID+6).Value

Snipaste_2019-12-23_16-29-26.png

Sik

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
EricLott
Level 10

Here's a solution I put together, where TextInput1 would be the 1-7 value you want to start with. Below will return 1-7 along with an index 0-6 of what the day is.

Set(SeedDay,Date(2017,1,Value(TextInput1.Text)));
ClearCollect(WeekRange,
{DayIndex: 0, Day: Weekday(SeedDay)},
{DayIndex: 1, Day: Weekday(DateAdd(SeedDay,1,Days))},
{DayIndex: 2, Day: Weekday(DateAdd(SeedDay,2,Days))},
{DayIndex: 3, Day: Weekday(DateAdd(SeedDay,3,Days))},
{DayIndex: 4, Day: Weekday(DateAdd(SeedDay,4,Days))},
{DayIndex: 5, Day: Weekday(DateAdd(SeedDay,5,Days))},
{DayIndex: 6, Day: Weekday(DateAdd(SeedDay,6,Days))}
)

I used Jan 2017 because January 1st was a Sunday, so I could just build onto that.

To get the actual day name, use this formula

Set(SeedDay,Date(2017,1,Value(TextInput1.Text)));
ClearCollect(WeekRange,
{DayIndex: 0, Day: Text(SeedDay,"[$-en-US]dddd")},
{DayIndex: 1, Day: Text(DateAdd(SeedDay,1,Days),"[$-en-US]dddd")},
{DayIndex: 2, Day: Text(DateAdd(SeedDay,2,Days),"[$-en-US]dddd")},
{DayIndex: 3, Day: Text(DateAdd(SeedDay,3,Days),"[$-en-US]dddd")},
{DayIndex: 4, Day: Text(DateAdd(SeedDay,4,Days),"[$-en-US]dddd")},
{DayIndex: 5, Day: Text(DateAdd(SeedDay,5,Days),"[$-en-US]dddd")},
{DayIndex: 6, Day: Text(DateAdd(SeedDay,6,Days),"[$-en-US]dddd")}
)

---
If this answered your question, please click "Accept Solution". If this helped, please Thumbs Up.

Microsoft v-siky-msft
Microsoft

Hi @Cooper01

I come up an idea, create a weekday collection, use index ID to filter weekdays for the next 7 days , please check my steps:

1. Put following codes to OnStart property.

ClearCollect(Weekday,Table({ID:1,Value:"Sunday",Num:1}, {ID:2,Value:"Monday",Num:2}, {ID:3,Value:"Tuesday",Num:3},{ID:4,Value: "Wednesday",Num:4},{ID:5,Value: "Thursday",Num:5},{ID:6,Value:"Friday",Num:6} , {ID:7,Value:"Saturday",Num:7},{ID:8,Value:"Sunday",Num:1}, {ID:9,Value:"Monday",Num:2}, {ID:10,Value:"Tuesday",Num:3},{ID:11,Value: "Wednesday",Num:4},{ID:12,Value: "Thursday",Num:5},{ID:13,Value:"Friday",Num:6} , {ID:14,Value:"Saturday",Num:7} ))

2. Put the following code to OnChange property of text input box

Set(CurrentID,LookUp(Weekday,Num=Value(TextInput2.Text)).ID)

3. Set Items property as below:

Filter(Weekday,ID>=CurrentID,ID<=CurrentID+6).Value

Snipaste_2019-12-23_16-29-26.png

Sik

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

'New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,272)