Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShaneITAutomate
Post Patron
Post Patron

Clearing a combobox previous entry via keyboard shortcut or code

Hi,

I have a rather large app with many comboboxes, i do have a clear and reset variables that i use at certain points such as the start of a new record, however my users generally just tab and only need to change one or two of the many comboboxes at a time and the rest stay the same,

Ive been asked if they can somehow after pressing tab to switch to the next comboboxes is there a way to clear the combobox and goto searchtext by using a keyboard shortcut for speedy entries?

or is there some code i can use to perform the same thing?

Anyhelp would be appreciated as ive never had to do this before within powerapps and searching doesnt show anything of value.

3 REPLIES 3
v-jefferni
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ShaneITAutomate ,

Could you please share more details about your scenario? Would you like to clear Combo Box selected items and open the search box? What column types are in those Combo boxes?

I made a test with all 3 column types mentioned above but found that Combo boxes were not working very well to clear selected items even with mouse clicking, and with Tab on keyboard would trigger nothing. 

You could clear all selected items:

1\  Use a button to set a variable, in button's OnSelect:

Set(varReset,true)

2\  Use if statement in DefaultSelectedItems of Combo box to clear selected items:

If(varReset=true, [], Parent.Default)    

//When combo box doesn’t allow multiple selections, replace [] with {} since it is a record in it.

3\  If would like to reset combo box to default selected items, then could add buttons in each Data Card with combo boxes, set OnSelect of the button to: Reset(ComboBoxName).

You could see that if you click on a Combo box, it would open the dropdowns for you to select, but use Tab would only focus on the control with nothing else happens. This made sense since Powerapps is more likely designed for Mobile devices, but still you could suggest an idea on Power Apps Idea Forum if you would like Tabbing to Combo box acts more like clicking on it.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

v-jefferni
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ShaneITAutomate 

Have you resolved the issue? 

If my post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Best regards,

Sorry for the very belated response i had to delete firefox and reinstall as i had credential issues,

My issue is the tab to show dropdown results (ill make a suggestion)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,599)