cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SJacobs
Advocate I
Advocate I

Clicking browser back button while editing an app

While editing a power app, I occasionally click the left arrow from my browser (I use Edge) instead of the left arrow from within Power Apps.  (See screenshot below)  When this happens, I lose all changes since the last save.

Some websites, when you attempt to navigate away from a page, will warn you that you have unsaved changes.  I do not get that warning when I navigate away from Power Apps.  Is this a setting in my browser that I can change?

Does anyone have advice on how they've avoided this error or anything I do to recover lost changes when this happens?

SJacobs_0-1636465406501.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SJacobs
Advocate I
Advocate I

I installed Power Apps as an app from MS Edge, and I'm happy with how it works.  No more lost work due to clicking the wrong button.

Below are the steps I followed and the results.  Thanks so much @timl for the suggestion!

======================================================================

HOW I INSTALLED POWER APPS AS AN APP USING MS EDGE

1) Navigate to https://create.powerapps.com/studio/#

2) From the browser, click the ellipses, then Apps, then Install this site as an app.

SJacobs_0-1636471192538.png

3)  After the app installs, choose options to pin to taskbar, create desktop shortcut, and include app in autostart.

SJacobs_1-1636471354084.png

4) I chose pin to taskbar, and now see this icon.  

SJacobs_2-1636471457270.png

5) These are the properties of the icon:

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge_proxy.exe" --profile-directory=Default --app-id=************--app-url=https://create.powerapps.com/studio/#

Start In: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application"

SJacobs_3-1636471620101.png

6) Now, when I run the app, this is what I see:

SJacobs_4-1636471715067.png

>> The back arrow within Power Apps is gone.  It does not appear within any of the menus (File, Home, etc).

>> The arrow you see in in the top left is greyed-out / inactive.  I tested the functionality, by making some changes to an app.  The arrow remains inactive, nothing I do will enable that arrow to be active.

>> You can use ctrl-z to undo a change, but there's no undo option in the menu

>> You can use ctrl-z multiple times to undo and ctrl-y multiple times to redo an action.  Redo also does not appear in any menu.

>> Hovering over the arrow reveals a tool tip :"Click to Go Back (Alt + Left Arrow), hold to see history".  However, Alt + Left Arrow does not navigate back.

7)  The refresh button (just to the right of the arrow) is enabled.  If you click refresh with unsaved changes, you get this warning.

SJacobs_5-1636472212208.png

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
zmorek
Super User
Super User

I don't have a solution, but I just want to jump in and say I hate that back arrow... In my mind, File should always be at the top left.

Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

This is an issue that Microsoft is currently looking into.  In general you should get a prompt when clicking on the Back button after having made an edit to the app.  It will look like this.  But sometimes it doesn't work.  There is no setting to change this behavior. It should be automatic.

image.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
StalinPonnusamy
Super User
Super User

Hi @SJacobs 

That's interesting but I just tried and have a warning message.

StalinPonnusamy_0-1636466285488.png

Let me see any other properties exist?

Thanks,
Stalin - Learn To Illuminate

@StalinPonnusamy Just an FYI,  That is the warning you get if you click the Back button in the Power Apps studio.  The one I posted is the one you should see if you click the back button in the Browser itself.  Either way there have been times when it for some reason doesn't work.

StalinPonnusamy
Super User
Super User

@Pstork1 I got it, yes the browser is no warning.

@StalinPonnusamy The browser Back button should show a dialog as well. Its just a different one.  Check the screenshot in my earlier reply.

timl
Super User
Super User

@SJacobs - As you're using Microsoft Edge, one way to work around this is to install create.powerapps.com as an app.

If you navigate to create.powerapps.com as though you're creating an app and then click the 3 elipes Apps > Install this site as an app option, you can create an icon on the start bar to start Power Apps. When you start Power Apps from this icon, it'll be chromeless and you won't see the browser back button.

There are more details on how to set this up here.

https://www.howtogeek.com/718611/how-to-make-a-website-into-a-windows-10-app/

Oh that's cool!

SJacobs
Advocate I
Advocate I

I installed Power Apps as an app from MS Edge, and I'm happy with how it works.  No more lost work due to clicking the wrong button.

Below are the steps I followed and the results.  Thanks so much @timl for the suggestion!

======================================================================

HOW I INSTALLED POWER APPS AS AN APP USING MS EDGE

1) Navigate to https://create.powerapps.com/studio/#

2) From the browser, click the ellipses, then Apps, then Install this site as an app.

SJacobs_0-1636471192538.png

3)  After the app installs, choose options to pin to taskbar, create desktop shortcut, and include app in autostart.

SJacobs_1-1636471354084.png

4) I chose pin to taskbar, and now see this icon.  

SJacobs_2-1636471457270.png

5) These are the properties of the icon:

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge_proxy.exe" --profile-directory=Default --app-id=************--app-url=https://create.powerapps.com/studio/#

Start In: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application"

SJacobs_3-1636471620101.png

6) Now, when I run the app, this is what I see:

SJacobs_4-1636471715067.png

>> The back arrow within Power Apps is gone.  It does not appear within any of the menus (File, Home, etc).

>> The arrow you see in in the top left is greyed-out / inactive.  I tested the functionality, by making some changes to an app.  The arrow remains inactive, nothing I do will enable that arrow to be active.

>> You can use ctrl-z to undo a change, but there's no undo option in the menu

>> You can use ctrl-z multiple times to undo and ctrl-y multiple times to redo an action.  Redo also does not appear in any menu.

>> Hovering over the arrow reveals a tool tip :"Click to Go Back (Alt + Left Arrow), hold to see history".  However, Alt + Left Arrow does not navigate back.

7)  The refresh button (just to the right of the arrow) is enabled.  If you click refresh with unsaved changes, you get this warning.

SJacobs_5-1636472212208.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,502)