cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Collect data from many datafields, how to best do this?

What is best practice on how to solve this?

I have a need of collecting lots of data at once. I want a person to report how many hours he/she have worked during a day over a period of month. Then a 3-4 questions to each day he reports workhours on.

My datasource will be a sharepoint list

I have setup the list and i have now opened a form trying to build the form. But since it is over 60 datacards in the form it is hard to make it good looking and easy to work with.

The form is quite slow and clumsy..

Is there a better way to build a form and collect data like this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Collect data from many datafields, how to best do this?

Hi @Oskarkuus ,

Do you mean that if you display all the fields in one form, the form will be quite slow and clumsy?
To improve this, I suggest you split the fields to several forms and one form display in one screen.

After you fill in form1, you could click "next", then you will navigate to form2, fill in form2, click"next", navigate to form3,...

I've made a similar test for your reference:

I split all the fields to three forms, you could split to more forms

1)in screen1, insert form1, a next button

in screen2, insert form2, a next button

in screen3, insert form3, a submit button

Set all the forms to the same data source.

in form1, choose field1-field10

in form2, choose field11-field20

in form3, choose field21-field30

11132.PNG

2)set next button1's OnSelect:

Navigate(Screen2,None)

set next button2's OnSelect:

Navigate(Screen3,None)

set submit button's OnSelect:

Patch(table,Defaults(table),form1.Updates,form2.Updates,form3.Updates)

Then, if you click the button in screen3, it will submit data in three forms together.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@Oskarkuus
Wow, 60 datacards in a single form is quite long! I am trying to imagine how you have setup the data form to collect information from your company's employees. Are you trying to collect an entire week or month of information all at once?

If you can share a screenshot of your current form I am sure a forum member or myself will be able to suggest a different way of designing the form. Make sure to blackout any sensitive information (or use dummy data instead).
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Oskarkuus ,

Do you mean that if you display all the fields in one form, the form will be quite slow and clumsy?
To improve this, I suggest you split the fields to several forms and one form display in one screen.

After you fill in form1, you could click "next", then you will navigate to form2, fill in form2, click"next", navigate to form3,...

I've made a similar test for your reference:

I split all the fields to three forms, you could split to more forms

1)in screen1, insert form1, a next button

in screen2, insert form2, a next button

in screen3, insert form3, a submit button

Set all the forms to the same data source.

in form1, choose field1-field10

in form2, choose field11-field20

in form3, choose field21-field30

11132.PNG

2)set next button1's OnSelect:

Navigate(Screen2,None)

set next button2's OnSelect:

Navigate(Screen3,None)

set submit button's OnSelect:

Patch(table,Defaults(table),form1.Updates,form2.Updates,form3.Updates)

Then, if you click the button in screen3, it will submit data in three forms together.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Yeah it is an undertaking 😛

I have a paperform today where employee that get salary by reporting how many hours they work each day need to fill. This paperform need to be filled every month and handed to their boss.

I want to get rid of the paperform and have a digital way for the employee to create this form and collect data of how many hours they have worked during a month.

So i have built now an app where the user create one report per month. It is posible to fill in data each day in a report (record) by just editing. When the month is over the employee "signs" and locks the report (record) and then i have a flow that sends the data to the boss for his signature and then he can send it to the bank (kind of).....

This is how a form looks like. I want to record 3 fields per day during a month. Time you started working. Time you ended working and how many hours that is
So i have created One form per day and then patch them together.
Screenshot: https://prnt.sc/q26fnw

Im far from done. Not sure how this will work out... but since it is so much data that is needed in many different fields.... a simple paperform becomes a huge effort to make a bit more modern and digital 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,867)