cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Collect works when hard coded into the function, but not when the exact same value is pulled dynamically

I have populated a text field with a JSON schema in SharePoint as a multi line plain text field and would like to use that for a collection.  When I pull in the value dyanmically i.e. 

CollectionFromField.JPG

It treats the collection as a single item
collectionSingleValue.JPG

If I paste in the exact text which is returned from my Approval Record field, it works as expected.
CollectionHardCoded.JPG
CollectionHardCodedCorrect.JPG

What am I doing incorrectly or am I missing something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Collect works when hard coded into the function, but not when the exact same value is pulled dynamically

@timl Thank you for confirming my suspicions, I will mark your reply as the answer.  It is extremely frustrating that everything useful in Flow seems to be hidden behind a premium connector.  If we were able to return Arrays to PowerApps without having to utilize the premium Response connector I would be much happier.  I spent a bunch of time trying to get around having to pay for the Common Data Service premium connector by storing/bulding this as JSON myself, but it seems that Microsoft thought of how to prevent these workarounds.  I am starting to understand why every Flow example I have seen is so simple and not realistic.

Anyways sorry for the mini rant and thank you for the response!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Collect works when hard coded into the function, but not when the exact same value is pulled dynamically

Hi @dtadam123 

Unfortunately, it isn't possible to parse JSON in this way. There was a post about this the other week which you might be interested in.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-PowerApps-Formerly/Parse-JSON-string-in-Power-APPS/m-p/... 

A workaround would be to use Flow. There's also a post in the Ideas forum that you can vote on.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/Parse-JSON-in-PowerApps/idi-p/359563 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@timl Thank you for confirming my suspicions, I will mark your reply as the answer.  It is extremely frustrating that everything useful in Flow seems to be hidden behind a premium connector.  If we were able to return Arrays to PowerApps without having to utilize the premium Response connector I would be much happier.  I spent a bunch of time trying to get around having to pay for the Common Data Service premium connector by storing/bulding this as JSON myself, but it seems that Microsoft thought of how to prevent these workarounds.  I am starting to understand why every Flow example I have seen is so simple and not realistic.

Anyways sorry for the mini rant and thank you for the response!

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,907)