cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kscharber
Level: Powered On

Collecting a Gallery within a Gallery just broke today

My App has been running smoothly collecting data from a gallery withing another gallery through a simple collection for weeks:

ClearCollect(TColLiveRoster,RosterList.AllItems) 

RosterList is the Master Gallery and has a Sub Gallery within it.

Today, along with the scrollbars resetting on every single gallery, now my Collection gets an error saying a Control type doesn't match my Control type...  I've reset the collection everyway I can, but no luck getting around it.

Here's the kicker -  The mere action of deleting a few characters and retyping the exact same ones fixes the bug on the admin side.  But everytime it's saved and reopened the Collect command breaks again.

This seems to clearly be a bug with a new update.  It heavily affects our daily operations.

Any ideas about work arounds?  Or am I stuck redesigning my system on someone's whim?

Thank you for your time.

6 REPLIES 6
Super User
Super User

Re: Collecting a Gallery within a Gallery just broke today

Hi @kscharber,

Just a guess but could you use the Groupby function to create your collection?  For me this seems to work best for Galleries and subgalleries. 

mr-dang
Level 10

@kscharber, when you collect a Gallery, each of its controls is treated like a 'column'. Can you collect the Items property of the Gallery instead? Or do you need to collect the controls?

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
kscharber

The intent is to collect both the data in the row and the control data (the subgallery).

The sub gallery is a collection of buttons meant for quick selection (Attendance codes for a classroom), I will pull them out of the gallery if need be, but it's a waste of time to have to code them all separately.

I still don't understand why it is breaking in the first place.  It works on my personal computer without any changes.  I've updated the browsers on the client computers, but to no avail.

kscharber

I'll give this a try later today.

kscharber

Nothing worked to get around pulling the nested controls of a gallery within a gallery.

In the end I built manual buttons and on selected them to a collection for temporary saving.  It's an ok solution, except for the fact that any future updates will take time to manually change instead of being able to turn buttons on and off through a table.

I really enjoyed having the quick flexibility of using nested galleries to mass create buttons and interfaces.  I really hope they figure out where it went wrong at some point.  Until then I don't have time to keep trying things out.

mr-dang
Level 10

@kscharber, I've filed this as Bug #3074719. In the mean time, if you have a list of the basic parts, would you be able to replicate them in a blank app and describe the steps to us? You can send it in a PM or describe it here.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,174)