cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collecting data to add to an existing field using dropdowns to select...

Hello

I am not sure if this is possible but it seems it should be, if anyone can assist I would appreciate it.

I have a list of suppliers in different categories like this:

TradeName
JoineryStick Fix Ltd
JoineryTrees Ltd
PlumbingPipez Ltd
PlumbingTanks Ltd
PlumbingBoilers Ltd
TilingCeramit Ltd
TilingNice Wall Ltd

I want to be able to collect performance data (ratings and free text) on these suppliers from different members of my team, every month.  I want the ratings to be added to the particular supplier and not overwrite the existing record and I want to control the list of trades and suppliers centrally so my team are not typing them in each time.  In my ideal model, the record for 'Stick Fix Ltd', after a few months, would look like this (simplified):

TradeNameCommentsRatingDate
JoineryStick Fix LtdFree text here4.5/5Jan 21
JoineryStick Fix LtdFree text here4.2/5Feb 21
JoineryStick Fix LtdFree text here3.9/5Mar 21

I want the user to be able to navigate by dropdown, clicking on trade and selecting Joinery, then selecting Stick Fix Ltd > Add New Rating.  I don't want the user to be able to add a new trade or supplier to the list.

Ideally, the records will be kept in Excel but at a push I could learn how Lists work if this was easier.  I have OneDrive and Sharepoint etc.

Thanks in advance 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User III
Super User III

@russparks 

Yes, this is all very possible in PowerApps.  Have you started on this journey or are you just inquiring about the ability?

In general, you would have just as you mention - a Dropdown (or Gallery) of Trades and then a filtered dropdown (or Gallery) of the Names associated with the selected Trade.  You could then just have a simple EditForm (in New mode) to create a record in your Excel (yes, I would lean more to SharePoint, but you can use Excel) for their rating.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Super User III
Super User III

@russparks 

Yes, this is all very possible in PowerApps.  Have you started on this journey or are you just inquiring about the ability?

In general, you would have just as you mention - a Dropdown (or Gallery) of Trades and then a filtered dropdown (or Gallery) of the Names associated with the selected Trade.  You could then just have a simple EditForm (in New mode) to create a record in your Excel (yes, I would lean more to SharePoint, but you can use Excel) for their rating.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

Hi @RandyHayes I was hoping this would be the case.  I will continue through the tutorials, currently at level 2 so a bit to go yet!  I am hoping your feedback on EditForm is a good point to start reserching 🙂

Russ

Super User III
Super User III

@russparks 

Sounds good.  Just post again when you run into issue.

Also, on the subject of EditForms, you might want to take a look at my comprehensive video on EditForm - everything you ever wanted to know and some things you might not even have imagined.

Hi @RandyHayes thanks for the video, I worked through this and whilst it does write to the data source it replaces the record.  I need multiple records against each field.  I need to select the 1st dropdown which populates the 2nd dropdown then have a form to fill out that appends to the selection.

Russ

Super User III
Super User III

@russparks 

Sorry for the delay on this response.

Can you describe a little more about what you mean in your last post?  Perhaps a screenshot or mockup of what you are trying to get to - if available.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (76,421)