cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tbush33
Frequent Visitor

Collection Data Deletes After Closing

Hello,

I am trying to create a log that a single user per shift (AM/PM/Overnight) uses to track completion of certain duties. I used Shane's video series (https://youtu.be/HUX_0AA4-Hs) on an expense report tool as a baseline to make it. It uses Collections and Galleries to create an editable list that will ultimately submit to Sharepoint. I am running into some problems however with the transition of usage. Since Powerapps only keeps locally stored data for Collections and will delete the data if the app is closed...I have a few problems:

1.  I would like the user to be able to leave the app (it is integrated into Teams) and come back and resume progress. This currently clears the collection and they lose all of their work.

2. It cannot be stored locally, because another user at shift transition will log into a different computer and access the app to "take over" responsibility of this duty. So it would need to be a data source accessed remotely. 

3. At the end of the day, the data needs to be submitted in a final Sharepoint List that can be used for reporting purposes. So, cannot have any duplicates and needs to be clean and accurate. I am afraid that if I have some sort of Sharepoint connection that pulls the data from a list where the previous user saved it, it will pull all the data from previous days and duplicate it in the final Sharepoint list. Not sure exactly how that works. 

Any help with this would be very much appreciated!! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WarrenBelz
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @tbush33 ,

You cannot store locally with Power Apps as it is a cloud-based solution, however the only way to solve your issue would be to set up another list with the fields from the collection and at App OnStart load all the records belonging to the user into the collection. You would then need a disciplined exit/save process (closing the tab will not work here) which firstly deletes all current user records that would have been loaded and replace them with what is in the collection.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
WarrenBelz
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @tbush33 ,

You cannot store locally with Power Apps as it is a cloud-based solution, however the only way to solve your issue would be to set up another list with the fields from the collection and at App OnStart load all the records belonging to the user into the collection. You would then need a disciplined exit/save process (closing the tab will not work here) which firstly deletes all current user records that would have been loaded and replace them with what is in the collection.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Hi @tbush33 ,

Just checking if you got the result you were looking for on this thread. Happy to help further if not.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (1,227)