Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Collection LookUp Questions as applies to Fill and Icon properties

Hello,

I have a rather long list of statuses that I would like to show colors and icons for using the Collection method (versus Switch or If), but I'm having some trouble. 

This Collection entered in OnStart of the App is error free. I ran the “Run On Start” button before attempting to apply the Collection to the Fill property of my circle shape.

ClearCollect(colStatusFill,{RequestStatus:"Open",Fill:"#638B2C"},{RequestStatus:"Waiting on Info",Fill:"#E6B00B"},{RequestStatus:"In Design",Fill:"#3256A0"},{RequestStatus:"Approval Pending",Fill:"#CF5117"},{RequestStatus:"In Model Shop",Fill:"#1399A3"},{RequestStatus:"Completed",Fill:"#70196C"},{RequestStatus:"On Hold",Fill:"#970000"},{RequestStatus:"Cancelled",Fill:"#595757"})

My Circle Fill property formula is not working. Error message reads “Invalid argument type.ShapeStatus.Fill”. ‘Request Status’ is the name of my SharePoint column which is a Choice field.

ColorValue(LookUp(colStatusFill, RequestStatus=ThisItem.'Request Status',Fill))

As previously mentioned, I would like to add icons to my Collection as well so I can LookUp images to lay on top of the circle shape, but the Collection errors out when I attempt to introduce them. I’ve tried adding quotation marks around the icon names, but the formula still doesn’t work. In addition to letting me know the correct syntax for the icon names, I would appreciate help learning the correct LookUp formula for the Icon property since I’m having trouble getting the LookUp formula for the Fill property going for the circle shape.

ClearCollect(colStatusFill,{RequestStatus: "Open",Fill: "#638B2C",Icon: Check},{RequestStatus: "Waiting on Info",Fill: "#E6B00B",Icon: Pin},{RequestStatus: "In Design",Fill: "#3256A0",Icon: Crop},{RequestStatus: "Approval Pending",Fill: "#CF5117",Icon: Clock},{RequestStatus: "In Model Shop",Fill: "#1399A3",Icon: ToolsWrench},{RequestStatus: "Completed",Fill: "#70196C",Icon: Send},{RequestStatus: "On Hold",Fill: "#970000",Icon: Warning},{RequestStatus: "Cancelled",Fill: "#595757",Icon: Cancel})

Thank you in advance for your help. This forum has been a welcome lifesaver for questions we have trouble finding in MSFT documentation, blogs and videos. You're the best! Teresa

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Re: Collection LookUp Questions as applies to Fill and Icon properties

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I'm happy to report that your latest piece of advice worked! As you know, some of the basic colors (e.g. blue, red, etc) can be a bit bright, but when I googled color enumerations, I was happily surprised to see how many internal colors Power Apps has to choose from. I was able to identify options that worked for the overall color branding of my app.

Here is my final Collection formula for the sake of anyone else who is trying to achieve a similar type of visual status indicator result:

ClearCollect(colStatusFill,{RequestStatus:"Open",FillColor:Color.DarkOliveGreen,Icon:Icon.Check},{RequestStatus:"Waiting on Info",FillColor:Color.DarkGoldenRod,Icon:Icon.Pin},{RequestStatus:"In Design",FillColor:Color.DarkBlue,Icon:Icon.Crop},{RequestStatus:"Approval Pending",FillColor:Color.Chocolate,Icon:Icon.Clock},{RequestStatus:"In Model Shop",FillColor:Color.CadetBlue,Icon:Icon.ToolsWrench},{RequestStatus:"Completed",FillColor:Color.DarkMagenta,Icon:Icon.Send},{RequestStatus:"On Hold",FillColor:Color.DarkRed,Icon:Icon.Warning},{RequestStatus:"Cancelled",FillColor:Color.DimGrey,Icon:Icon.Cancel})

This LookUp formula works for the icons. Enter it into the Icon property:
LookUp(colStatusFill,RequestStatus=ThisItem.'Request Status'.Value,Icon)

This LookUp formula works for the circle shape fill. Enter it into the Fill property:
LookUp(colStatusFill,RequestStatus=ThisItem.'Request Status'.Value,FillColor)

If you only have a few icons and shapes, the Switch formula approach might be easier. Special thanks to Laura Rogers for her recent video on how to format galleries which is where I learned this technique. Here are the formulas that worked for me. No Collection necessary. The hexcodes equate to the values above or at least are very close. 

This switch statement works for color fills. Enter it into the Fill property of your shape:
Switch(ThisItem.'Request Status'.Value,"Open",ColorValue("#5D8625"),"Waiting on Info",ColorValue("#E6B00B"),"In Design",ColorValue("#3256A0"),"Approval Pending",ColorValue("#CF5117"),"In Model Shop",ColorValue("#1399A3"),"Completed",ColorValue("#70196C"),"On Hold",ColorValue("#970000"),"Cancelled",ColorValue("#595757"),Black)

This switch statement works for icons. Enter it into the Icon property:
Switch(ThisItem.'Request Status'.Value,"Open",Icon.Check,"Waiting on Info",Icon.Pin,"In Design",Icon.Crop,"Approval Pending",Icon.Clock,"In Model Shop",Icon.ToolsWrench,"Completed",Icon.Send,"On Hold",Icon.Warning,"Cancelled",Icon.Cancel,Icon.Download)

Thanks again for all your help @eka24. You've been terrific! I'm proud to be a member of this Community where there are so many good people helping others. Kind regards, Teresa

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Have you loaded the icons or images into Powerapps media or you are referring to native icons inside Powerapps

If you are referring to the Icon inside Powerapps, example: Icon.Cancel

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/effortlessly-find-and-switch-between-icons-in-canvas-apps...

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Highlighted
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Hello, thank you for your advice. I am referring to the internal icons. Your advice worked. I no longer have errors in the Collection. Would you mind helping me figure out the correct syntax for the Fill and Icon properties so I can complete the rest of the puzzle? Let me know if you need any additional info besides what I provided in the original post. Kind regards, Teresa

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

The structure of your collection is ok. What issue are you having on the fill colors as the colors are in collections. If possible show screenshot of the Gallery with those issues

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Highlighted
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Hello, thanks for hanging in there with me. I might be wrong, but I feel like the issue is with the first Request Status reference that I have colored in red below. If that isn't the right phrase to be using, I'm not sure what is so I appreciate your help. I've attached screenshots from my app, let me know if you agree if this might be the culprit. The Fill property formula I am using for the circle shape is:

ColorValue(LookUp(colStatusFill,RequestStatus=ThisItem.'Request Status'.Fill))

Kind regards,

Teresa

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Use ColorValue(LookUp(colStatusFill,RequestStatus=ThisItem.'Request Status',Fill))

LookUp(colStatusFill,RequestStatus=ThisItem.'Request Status',Fill)

------------

Highlighted
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Hello, thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working. I've attached screenshots of the errors I am seeing. Any other ideas of something I could try?

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Change the ThisItem.'Request Status' to

ThisItem.'Request Status'.Value.

If you have issues, give a screenshot of the label showing the formula: ThisItem.'Request Status'

------------

Highlighted
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Hello, I tried it this way:

ColorValue(LookUp(colStatusFill,RequestStatus=ThisItem.'Request Status'.Value))

and this way:

LookUp(colStatusFill,RequestStatus=ThisItem.'Request Status'.Value)

And this way:

LookUp(colStatusFill,RequestStatus=ThisItem.'Request Status',Value)

I'm sorry to be taking your time. I think maybe I should just stick with a Switch formula instead of trying to do it this way. Let me know if you think it is time to call it quits. I'm sure you have better ways to be spending your time! Thanks again for all your suggestions. I truly appreciate it.

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Am suggesting;

Change the colors to normal color names as Green, Blue, Yellow in the Collection. Also change the ColumnName Fill to FillColor. 

Then try;

LookUp(colStatusFill,RequestStatus=ThisItem.'Request Status'.Value,FillColor)

Or

LookUp(colStatusFill,RequestStatus=ThisItem.'Request Status'.Value, FillColor)

------------

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

New Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (10,298)