cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advocate V
Advocate V

Collection / Table / Patch Tracability Missing in PowerApps

An important function is missing from PowerApps: Collection/Patch tracability.

This is important, to trace changes to the data and understand the impacts of all data flows in any app.

Especially important for apps with multiple tables, collections, updateifs and patch statements.

Can Microsoft provide insight/visibility to this?

Even a full text search in the Entire App would be a great step!

Thank you !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@vsslasd 

Well, someone is getting some pennies! 

Yes...pretty much any formula of substance that could easily be obsured in the app.

Places where I "break" this rule are typically on Galleries.  They I will use as much formula as needed to shape and craft the data for the Gallery...unless I have to resort to a collection - in which case, it goes on the APP_INFO screen.

BTW...for any one reading this that I have sent sample apps to in response to your questions...I typcially DON'T do this in the samples - only to keep it brief and clear. @LRVinNC Smiley Very Happy

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Funny you posted this one today.  Just this morning I was wishing I had an appwide search function.  I knew I had used CountRows somewhere and I wanted to cut and paste but for the life of me I could not remember where I used it.  It would be very helpful if this existed.  FYI, there are several ideas posted in the Ideas forum along this line.  Unfortunately, none of them has a lot of votes.

LRVinNC

------------------
Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

@LRVinNC @vsslasd 

There are some brute force ways to do this, but it is painful.  It involves searching the app file itself to find what you are looking for.  Not very elegant! 

As a good practice though...one of the rules I observe is to always put any formula that has any importance on one screen (I call mine APP_INFO).  If they are "routine" type formulas, then use a toggle to "fire" them, but put the toggle on one screen.  I will also put common styling controls on the screen and reference them through the app (ex. a label on the screen with a particular font, then all labels in the app reference their font from that label only - change it it one place).  Building collections...put them on that screen only.  Use a toggle to fire them off in places where you would normally type them in.  

THEN...when you need to find something, it is usually all right there on that screen.  Searching is minimal.

You can also use that screen for your own notes (or your successor).

Just good design practices and helps with the issue a bit until they provide another way to easily do it.

And now I'm $0.02 poorer. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

Great thought.

I think this concept might also work for patch statements so they can be centralized in one spot, and the re-used and recalled using your methodology.

This way, copies of those patch statements don't have to exist in multiple places causing version control /edit issues.

Thank you. Now I'm also 2 cents poorer, and we are both 4 cents wealthier

@vsslasd 

Well, someone is getting some pennies! 

Yes...pretty much any formula of substance that could easily be obsured in the app.

Places where I "break" this rule are typically on Galleries.  They I will use as much formula as needed to shape and craft the data for the Gallery...unless I have to resort to a collection - in which case, it goes on the APP_INFO screen.

BTW...for any one reading this that I have sent sample apps to in response to your questions...I typcially DON'T do this in the samples - only to keep it brief and clear. @LRVinNC Smiley Very Happy

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (11,297)