cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LRVinNC
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Collection not recognizing form

I set up a collection to use with a component and I am in the process of extending it to add more functionality with the forms column as shown below. EditSummary is a form on the SummaryEdit screen. If I use EditSummary in all 4 items, all is well -- no errors. 

Collection1.png

But if I replace EditSummary in the last two items with EditProject (a form on the ProjectEdit screen)

Collection2.png

it generates an error saying "The given types are incompatible".

Collection3.png

I find no differences between the setup of SummaryEdit (screen)/EditSummary (form) and ProjectEdit (screen)/EditProject (form). In fact, the latter was cloned from the former.

Project.pngSummary.png

Any thoughts on why it thinks EditProject is an incompatible type?

Thanks,

LRVinNC

LRVinNC

------------------
Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@LRVinNC 

Yes, this problematic in PowerApps as you're really trying to treat these things like programing objects.  In some cases it will work, in many other it will not.

I had a similar situation for indirect reference to screen names with Navigate that I put together a fairly interesting solution. You might be able to adopt some of those concepts for your app.

In many cases though you just have to put it directly in to your formula or create nasty Switch statements to handle it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@LRVinNCforms are not like objects in the dev world.  Each one has a different type.  Even a copy and paste of a form will be two different types.

I'd be curious to see how you are even using the information in your collection as many functions will not let you do an indirect reference to a control.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)

What I'm wanting to do with it is to be able to feed the value of the form column to a NewForm action the same way I am currently feeding Goto to my Navigate action. Here's where I am using the screen todayCurrentAction.png

And here's what I'm aiming for, with a similar lookup as from above in place of the form name in the NewForm.

DesiredAction.png

I'm trying to build my page-to-page interactions into my header component.  I have it working fine for edit and save, but planned to use NewForm to handle my fresh page on an Add.  If I can't use the form in this way, then I'll have to explore other options.

LRVinNC

------------------
Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

@LRVinNC 

Yes, this problematic in PowerApps as you're really trying to treat these things like programing objects.  In some cases it will work, in many other it will not.

I had a similar situation for indirect reference to screen names with Navigate that I put together a fairly interesting solution. You might be able to adopt some of those concepts for your app.

In many cases though you just have to put it directly in to your formula or create nasty Switch statements to handle it.

Thanks for the example @RandyHayes.  Yeah, I'm afraid I may have to revert to that, but was trying to avoid it if possible.  I had hoped to use results of a lookup to truly leverage the component capabilities, but it isn't quite there yet to do all I want to do. 

LRVinNC

------------------

@LRVinNCI can tell you are a developer by your motives 🙂 

Unfortunately, PowerApps was not made to be a development platform and doesn't have some of those capabilities - although some actually do derive from the underlying structures.

Until then, yes, it is crafty ways to make things happen the way our developer minds think they should - just don't go too crazy.  I've found myself "developing" very crafty and complex (what I thought was) workarounds, only to find out - it's already there in one simple step if I just walk back from it and look at the way PowerApps works differently.

Good luck to you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,734)