cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Meneghino
Community Champion
Community Champion

Collection vs. context variable for storing table data

We can store table data both as collections or as context variables.

Does anyone have any idea when to use a collection or a context variable to store a table? (Except for the fact that the context variable is defined only for one screen, and collection is global)  Any difference in performance?

PS I credit this post by @Brank for making me realise you can store records and tables in context variables.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-micsh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Well @Meneghino,

i have nothing new other than the online document:

Understand Variables in PowerApps

For using collection with table, I think that depends on what you would like to deal with it.

Collection would hold the table in local, which I think should be better performance than query directly.

Not sure about the context variable.

Regards

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-micsh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Well @Meneghino,

i have nothing new other than the online document:

Understand Variables in PowerApps

For using collection with table, I think that depends on what you would like to deal with it.

Collection would hold the table in local, which I think should be better performance than query directly.

Not sure about the context variable.

Regards

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Over time link has broken, new link: 

Working with variables

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on August 17, 2022 at 8am PDT.

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (1,526)