Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Questionasking
Helper III
Helper III

Combining Data or Match Data

Hi,

I have several Sharepoint skills lists that are named according to their category and have a vast amount of Course ID columns containing dates (Stored as Text) , I named these by their ID names rather than their official course name, because the names of these courses can be quite long and Sharepoint would shorten them, however I'm currently in the process of building an app so users can clearly see what course they are changing and im going to have to use their actual names as labels for clarity rather than just the Course ID numbers,

(The app will be a Form app not canvas)

I was just going to go through one by one and add a label however that would take myself days, surely their is a better way? what would be the quickest way to solve this? 

For Example        Questionasking_0-1609651650995.png

5 REPLIES 5
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

HI @Questionasking ,

Your fundamental problem here is you seem to have the course IDs as individual columns.

CourseNames.jpg

You need a structure like this

CourseID CourseName CourseDate
327032470 How to ask questions on powerapps 101 1/01/1990
93240372 Can I Go Postal at work anyday or is just Monday 1001 1/03/1993
23232334 How to tell off your boss and get away with it 9001 1/03/1993
325352535 Am I going to hell because I once smoked a ciggerette 1/01/1990

and the course name would be

LookUp(
   YourTableName,
   CourseID=WhateveryoueQuery
).CourseName

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Hi @Questionasking ,

Just checking if you got the result you were looking for on this thread. Happy to help further if not.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Currently the sharepoint lists are set up as follows

Questionasking_0-1610075724759.png

Are you saying i should have the data structured as 

Questionasking_1-1610076092822.png

How would i be able to create a powerapp using the 2nd datastructure?

such as the one below which is using the first data structure? 

Questionasking_2-1610076305074.png

Wouldnt it be better to use the first datastructure and just somehow collect the course ID and Names?

im confused?

@Questionasking ,

You simply cannot refer to field names dynamically in Power Apps, so there is no way of filtering / collecting the result trying to match a field value with a field name. Any matching values must both in the contents of the tables (field values).

So in your example posted, you cannot match a field value of 3939Z with the column in the other table. 

Hi @Questionasking ,

Just checking if you got the result you were looking for on this thread. Happy to help further if not.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

secondImage

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, October 20th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,676)