cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kbig

Combo Box - On Select/On Change

Does the 'On Select' action for Combo Boxes and other controls run once when selecting an item in the drop-down or each time you select an item?

5 REPLIES 5
ChrisHarper
Helper II
Helper II

OnSelect runs each time you select an item

I think 'On Change' runs for each item that is selected in a dropdown. I think 'On Select' runs once when you select the control.

ChrisHarper
Helper II
Helper II

Yes On Change runs each time an item in a dropdown is selected and is the better property to use for Dropdowns.  However OnSelect runs every time the control is selected 

CNT
Super User
Super User

@kbig 

OnChange will fire each time you select or deselect an item.

OnSelect will fire as soon as you click on the control, irrespective of whether you select or deselect anything.

v-qiaqi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kbig,

Have you distinguished these two properties?

Actually, the OnSelect triggers every time you select the control.

The OnChange property triggers every time you select an item that differs from your previously selected item.

In addition, I want to remind you that the Text input controls differs from the Combo Box on OnChange property. The OnChange property of the Text input only triggers when you input a completely different strings from your previously input and you should click anywhere outside the Text input control.

Hope it could help you at some degree.

Best Regards,
Qi

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,811)