cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Combo Box Tied to SharePoint Managed Metadata Term Store

So I have a SharePoint List that has a field called State. This field is linked to a Managed Termset called States with all 52 states listed along with their Short 2 letter symbol. I am using a PowerApp to pull some data from a SQL DB to help Pre-Populate the data in this SharePoint List. I have the app working where it looks up the values, add them to the new record page in the PowerApp. The only issue I am having is getting this "State" field since it is Linked to the Termstore.

The Combo box also only loads the first 20 values in the drop down. Since that doesn't cut it, I turned on the "Search" option. This lets me pull up every value now. However, if I try to pass the captured string of the state name pulled from the SQL record, it fails to save. I know why, I have a string and SharePoint wants that TermStore JSON formated string. The Combobox must be doing some magic on the backend when you fill\select the field manually because that works without issues.

My thought, is to somehow pass the string I have from the SQL feed into the "Search Function" of the drop down but that isn't working. I even tried using setting the default value of the combo box to: 

First(Filter([@'SharePointList'].State, 'State'.Label = "Pennsylvania"))

Thinking that would work but no luck

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Combo Box Tied to SharePoint Managed Metadata Term Store

Hello Thoman,

If I am reading your description right, you basically have a process setup where the information a user inputs is supposed to cause the managed meta-data field to be populated with the 2 letter symbol of the state correct?

Unfortunately there are limitations on the MetaData field as we do not support creation of the new items through that column and since the string is not passing an identifier/json of the item it breaking is to be expected.

The recommendation I would suggest is to have it setup that the information you input is submitted into a Power Automate Flow that does nothing more outside of wait for the PowerApp to trigger it then uses a Switch Comparison to look for where the string matches the state, then you can have a duplicate create item action but have a selected field for the manage metadata. This should stop it from throwing a data type mismatch.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,533)