cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AdamE
Level: Powered On

Combo Box and App Setting 'Formula-level Error Management' conflict

I have added a combo box to a data card in an editform. The combo box items are names from a CDS datasource. My issue is when I navigate from a detailform to the editform to edit the record, If I just submit the editform without selecting anything in the combobox the form writes a blank name to the datasource rather than the name displayed in the combo box (parent.default). The record is being written to a CDS datasource. If I reselect the name in the combobox that is defaulted there and then submit it it works properly. The update formula in the datacard is combox1.selected.name. So even though the correct name is defaulted in the combo box unless I actually select it it submits a blank during write back.

This problem just recently popped up when I turned on the App Setting "Formula-level Error Management".  If I turn it off the problem goes away. I have the App Setting turned on on advice to resolve an issue I had with submitting text input controls that had empty strings and their datasource CDS requiring a null value. See here if interested - https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/EditForm-Update-Errors/m-p/347791#M99843

Any help or ideas on how to resolve this issue would be appreciated. I'm out of ideas.

Thank you.

AdamE

5 REPLIES 5
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Combo Box and App Setting 'Formula-level Error Management' conflict

Hi @AdamE ,

The most important is whether you trun on  "Formula-level Error Management".

This toggle is used to decide whether write null value to data source.

Here's a blog about it for your reference:

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/new-feature-error-handling-and-writing-null-values-to-dat...

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
AdamE

Hi  

Thank you for your reply. I am aware that the "Formula-level Error Management" toggle is used to allow null values to be written to the data source. That is why I turned it on to begin with as I mentioned in my post. Unfortunately, when I turn it on it now breaks my combo box from writing back to the data source properly. Do you have any suggestions on how to fix that? 

I currently don't have a way around this and can't use my app in this state. I just don't think these basics should be this hard.

AdamE

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @AdamE ,

I've made a similar test but not met the same problem like your description.

Here's my test for your reference:

1)I've turned on "Formula-level Error Management"

2)The combo box's settings:

Items: Choices(list1.cho)

DefaultSelectedItems: Parent.Default

3)The datacard's Update: DataCardValue16.SelectedItems

4)The combo box's defaultselecteditems:92.PNG

I didin't select the value again, it just display the parent.default value.

5)click the submit button

6)The combo box's value is still "choice1", not empty value.921.PNG

(I change workinghours_day value to reflect that I've submitted the form)

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
AdamE

Hi 

1)I've turned on "Formula-level Error Management"

2)The combo box's settings (cbClient):

Items: MJAClients    (MJAClients is a CDS Entity, single field, data type: text) This entity is just a list of names.

DefaultSelectedItems: If(EditForm1.Mode = FormMode.Edit, {Value: Parent.Default})

3)The datacard's Update: cbClient.Selected.MJAClientName      (MJAClientName is the single field name in MJAClients Entity)

AdamE

Hi 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch

Join us for the Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event on Thursday, April 2, 2020, at 8:00 AM PST.

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,714)