cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matt_C1
Regular Visitor

Combo Box (populated from Excel list) selection not saving to SharePoint list.

Hi,

I have a simple canvas app that lets you edit items that are saved in a sharepoint list.  The edit form has a field (Job Title) where I am populating the choices from an excel list data source.  The excel data source has a single column with unique values named "Title".  For the combo box, I have set "items" to JobTitle.Title, and it works as expected letting the user select a job title.  The problem is when the save button is clicked, the selected job title value is never saved back to the Sharepoint list.  The field in sharepoint is a "Choice" - I tried doing a single line of text, but then the data card has a red error exclamation "Expected record value.", so I set it back to being a "Choice" field in the SharePoint list.  The "update" property of the data card is set to "DataCardValue75.Selected" (where DataCardValue75 is the name of my combo box).

Any idea why this field is not saving back to the sharepoint list, but all other fields are saving successfully?  Have I chosen the wrong field type in the SharePoint list?  Any help appreciated - I've been banging my head against this problem for a few weeks now.  Trying to see if PowerApps is a feasible replacement for all the InfoPath forms we've built over the years.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @WarrenBelz 

Thanks for the reply.  When I change the "update" property of the card to match what you have suggested, a red "X" appears and the error text is "Name isn't valid. This identifier isn't recognized."

However when I tried setting the update property to "{Value:DataCardValue75.Selected.Title}" it worked perfectly.  "Title" is the name of the column in the excel table, so I guess that's why it worked?  Your suggestion got me on the right track, so thank you very much! 

May I ask why the curly braces are necessary?  It feels very strange to use grouping symbols on such a simple expression.  I'm just curious and trying to learn / understand.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @Matt_C1 ,

Tyr changing the Update of the card to

{Value:DataCardValue75.Selected.Value}

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Hi @WarrenBelz 

Thanks for the reply.  When I change the "update" property of the card to match what you have suggested, a red "X" appears and the error text is "Name isn't valid. This identifier isn't recognized."

However when I tried setting the update property to "{Value:DataCardValue75.Selected.Title}" it worked perfectly.  "Title" is the name of the column in the excel table, so I guess that's why it worked?  Your suggestion got me on the right track, so thank you very much! 

May I ask why the curly braces are necessary?  It feels very strange to use grouping symbols on such a simple expression.  I'm just curious and trying to learn / understand.

@Matt_C1 ,

I cannot see your data and you said it was a Choice field hence I assumed the Items of the control were also from the choices. You have obviously changed the Items to refer to a Title field, hence the valid output - I have a blog on Controls and their References that may be useful to you.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

@Matt_C1 ,

As per my note, you might consider accepting the post as a solution - I can only answer what you provide.

Hey @WarrenBelz - my original post did explain that the combo box choices were being populated from an excel sheet with a column named "Title".  Since your solution wasn't the exact solution, I would be doing the community a disservice to mark it as such.  That's why I gave you the thumbs-up instead, because you helped me find the solution. 

I think it is helpful for other users having this issue to know that the name of the excel data source column needs to be referenced in the update property of the data card.  Thanks again for your help - it got me on the right track.

@Matt_C1 ,

I guess we have different views on that, though I respect yours.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,417)