cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grock
Frequent Visitor

ComboBox.Selected.'value' Works in Preview but not in Live Play Mode

I ran into an interesting issue this morning where displaying the contents of a column on a selected row works in preview mode, but not in live Play mode.  The source data is from a simple two-column table in an Azure SQL database with approximately 100 rows.  Column A is selected using a combo box.  Column B is returned into a view only text box.  The Default for the view only text box for column B is set to: 

ComboBox.Selected.'B'

I can select a value for A in the combo box, and it runs the corresponding value for B while in preview mode.  However, I get nothing in Live play mode.  The Text Box for B remains blank for any value of A selected in the Combo Box.  There are no null or blank cells in the database for columns A or B.  I tried the PowerApps Desktop App, Android Mobile App, Chrome, and Edge.  I've cleared cache and cookies.  I can work around this with a Lookup statement, but does any know why referencing ComboBox.Selected.B doesn't work in live play?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PowerAddict
Super User
Super User

So a couple of things that you can try: 

1. If you have the Explicit Column Setting turned on, turn it off and see if it makes a diff. This can be found in FIle->Settings->Advanced Settings->Preview
  2. Add a gallery somewhere in the app and set its data source to the SQL table. Add two labels in the gallery - one with the Text property set to ThisItem.A and the other one with ThisItem.B

I believe the 2nd suggestion above will help you but let me know if it doesn't. 

---
If you like this reply, please give kudos (Thumbs Up). And if this solves your problem, please mark this reply as a solution by selecting Accept as Solution. This makes it easier for others to find answers to similar questions. 

Thanks!

Hardit Bhatia

Microsoft Business Applications MVP

Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | YouTube  |  Email

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PowerAddict
Super User
Super User

So a couple of things that you can try: 

1. If you have the Explicit Column Setting turned on, turn it off and see if it makes a diff. This can be found in FIle->Settings->Advanced Settings->Preview
  2. Add a gallery somewhere in the app and set its data source to the SQL table. Add two labels in the gallery - one with the Text property set to ThisItem.A and the other one with ThisItem.B

I believe the 2nd suggestion above will help you but let me know if it doesn't. 

---
If you like this reply, please give kudos (Thumbs Up). And if this solves your problem, please mark this reply as a solution by selecting Accept as Solution. This makes it easier for others to find answers to similar questions. 

Thanks!

Hardit Bhatia

Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | YouTube  |  Email

View solution in original post

snaefellnes
Helper II
Helper II

Hello @grock ,

Have you found a solution to your problem? I have the same issue and ran out of things to check,

Regards,

Eric

Thank you @PowerAddict , just found out that your first suggestion solve my case of the problem!

PowerAddict
Super User
Super User

Glad I could help! Good luck with the rest of the app! Feel free to reach out in case of any questions!

Thanks!

Hardit Bhatia

Microsoft Certified Trainer MCT

Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | YouTube  |  Email

@snaefellnes I stuck with using a LOOKUP statement to return the values.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (1,410)