cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PwrOf3
Frequent Visitor

ComboBox.SelectedItems.Result to Text field in SP List

• Inside my power-app I have a form connected to a SharePoint List I control.
  • I have created a ComboBox that gets items dynamically from another SP list.
  • This works, and my ComboBox offers the multiple items choice as expected.
  • The DataCard in which I'm doing this is connected to a text field on my SP List.
  • the Update value of this DataCard is currently only accepting Text values (because connected to the Text field in SP List).
  • ComboBox.Selected.Result is a text value, but only keeps the latest selected choice from the dropdown menu
  • ComboBox.SelectedItems.Result is a table type, hence it's not accepted by the text field in the SP List

How can I pass the multiple selected items to Update, so that final result would be a text field as follows:
"Item1; Item2; Item6" ?

Can I also read it back as "DefaultSelectedItems = [ThisItem.MyField]" ?

PS.
I use a text type for that field because I don't know the possible choices as they may vary in time.

Thank you for any help.

6 REPLIES 6
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@PwrOf3

Try changing your Update property for that datacard to the following formula:

Concat(ComboBox.SelectedItems, Result & ";")

That will give you the concatenated list with semicolon separation.  Keep in mind that this will end with a semicolon.  (i.e. "Item1; Item2; Item6;")

If you wish to exclude that you can change your formula to the following:

Left(Concat(ComboBox.SelectedItems, Result & ";"), Len(Concat(ComboBox.SelectedItems, Result & ";"))-1)

This will perform the concat twice, once to get the length and the other to trim it by 1 (the trailing semicolon).

If you want, you can also use the With function for this - change formula to the following:

With({cList: Concat(ComboBox.SelectedItems, Result & ";")}, 
   Left(cList, Len(cList)-1)
)

All of the above should give you what you are looking for.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

Hi, I'm trying something similar;

I have one variable Set(_Fechas,"") where I want to store days of the month like "01;02;03;...."

I have a text label with _Fechas on it's Item property.

But whenever I try to patch the SelectedItems Table to a String variable using this formula, I got an error that says:

"Issue: Invalid argument type. Expecting one of the following: Text, Number, Boolean, OptionSetValue, ViewValue"

Any idea?

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@OSBSoto 

The properties you named don't make sense as things like text labels don't have Items properties.

Perhaps supply the formula you are having problems with and the property and control you are putting it in?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

I mean, I have a Combobox with multiple value available for selection; numbers from 01 to 31. I want to allow my users to pick as much numbers as they want from the ComboBox; BUT I will store them all together in a Sharepoint List as a single-line field.

I am struggling trying to put all the values selected on the ComboBox into a single variable (for the purpose I had been trying to store the ComboBox.SelectedItems inside a Set variable; which also work as the Item for another field on the EditForm.

Hope to make myself clearer this time.

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@OSBSoto 

You don't need a variable for this in any way.

Just use this formula in your Update property of the form for the column you are setting:

Concat(yourCombobox.SelectedItems, Value & ";")

For the DefaultSelectedItems property of the combobox, set the formula to:

RenameColumns(Filter(Split(ThisItem.yourColumnName, ";"), !IsBlank(Result)), "Result", "Value")

OSBSoto
Advocate II
Advocate II

Thanks, worked.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,392)