cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

ComboBox SelectedItems object to text

Hi all,

Sorry if this is a stupid question but i am struggling to find the documentation to turn the item in a combobox into text. It's set so that only one item can every be selected a time. 

How do i turn the output from an object to text so that i can use it in a table?

Collect(Info, 
 {
  Kit:KitValue,
  Workbook:Text(ComboBox3.SelectedItems), 
  Worksheet:Dropdown1.Selected.Value,
  Information:TextInput1.Text
}
);

It is the workbook line that doesn't work however i'm looking for a command to do that sort of thing.

Kind regards,

Colleen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello Colleen,

Can you try to change the 4th line of the expression to:
Workbook:Text(ComboBox3.Selected.NameOfTheColumn) 

Instead of SelectedItems you need to write Selected.NameOfTheColumn

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello Colleen,

Can you try to change the 4th line of the expression to:
Workbook:Text(ComboBox3.Selected.NameOfTheColumn) 

Instead of SelectedItems you need to write Selected.NameOfTheColumn

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Brilliant, this was what i needed! Thanks @Mike8 🙂

Frequent Visitor

Hi Mike,

Do you know how to do the same for multiselect; e.g: ComboBox3.SelectedItems.NameOfTheColumn

I'm trying to insert multiple rows into a Sharepoint List:

* Define variables e.g. Var1 = a, Var2 = b, Var3 = c

* Select multiple options from ComboBox (VarCombo) e.g. x, y & x

* Insert multiple rows into a Sharepoint list based on the above e.g.

VarCombo   Var1   Var2   Var3

1          x              a         b        c

2          y              a         b        c

3          z              a         b        c

I've got close by using a ForAll, but will still only return one of the SelectedValues.

VarCombo   Var1   Var2   Var3

1          z              a         b        c

2          z              a         b        c

3          z              a         b        c

Any help appriciated!! 

Thanks,

Ian

Hello,

Yes, we can make it work. Here is an example.

If you have a collection
Button1.OnSelect = Collect(Collection1,{Column1:"A"},{Column1:"B"},{Column1:"C"})
CompoBox1.Items = Collection1
Button2.OnSelect = ForAll(ComboBox1.SelectedItems,Collect(Collection2,{ColumnName1:Column1}))
So Collection2 is your sharepoint list and ColumnName1 is the column in the sharepoint list you would like to write the values from the compobox.

If you use this example as a reference I think you can make it work. Else,let me know if you have an issue please

Frequent Visitor

Hi Mike,

I think I'm almost there! Although I'm afriad I don't understrand the requirement for two buttons, and how to get the CombiBox Items in the final collection e.g. Button2.OnSelect = ForAll(ComboBox1.SelectedItems,Collect(Collection2,{ColumnName1:Column1, ColumName2: ComboBox1.SelectedItems.Value}))

Have I understood this right?

Button1.OnSelect = Collect(Collection1,{Column1:"A"},{Column1:"B"},{Column1:"C"}) - This button collects the Variables
CompoBox1.Items = Collection1 - I'm not sure where this goes?
Button2.OnSelect = ForAll(ComboBox1.SelectedItems,Collect(Collection2,{ColumnName1:Column1})) - This inserts the Variables into the Sharepoint list (although I can't see how to insert the ComboBox Values?

I am sorry, I could have explained better.
Button1 and CompoBox1 in my example are there to help me use Button2.
Button2.OnSelect expression is important for you to understand how it works.
Button1 creates a dummy collection and I use it as CompoBoxItems.

Lets go to your case..

I'm trying to insert multiple rows into a Sharepoint List:

* Define variables e.g. Var1 = a, Var2 = b, Var3 = c   --- (I suppose these are constants)

* Select multiple options from ComboBox (VarCombo) e.g. x, y & x --- (I suppose that VarCombo is the name of the Compobox and DisplayedComboBoxColumn is the name of the displayed column in the combobox)

* Insert multiple rows into a Sharepoint list based on the above e.g. ---(I don't know the name of the sharepoint list and the columns of the sharepoint list you want to write your values to, so I will use List and the columns of the sharepoint list ListColumn1-4)

Button2.OnSelect = ForAll(VarCombo.SelectedItems,Collect(List,{ListColumn1:Var1,ListColumn2:Var2,ListColumn3:Var3,ListColumn4: DisplayedComboBoxColumn })) 

You need to change List,ListColumn1,ListColumn2,ListColumn3,ListColumn4,DisplayedComboBoxColumn, to the actual names that you use in your app

Frequent Visitor

Here's a screenshot showing what I have currently, as unfortunaly I'm still not able to get it to work;

ForAll(ComboBox.SelectedItems,Collect('List1',{Column1: Var1.Text,Column2: Var2.Text,Column3: Var3.Text,Column4: ComboBox.Selected.Value}))  - Image 1 Below

- This only returns the last item in the CombiBox

ForAll(ComboBox.SelectedItems,Collect('List1',{Column1: Var1.Text,Column2: Var2.Text,Column3: Var3.Text,Column4: ComboBox.SelectedItems.Value}))  - Image 2 Below

- This returns [objectObject] for each item

Thanks for your help! Nearly there by the looks of it!!

Ian

Hello Ian, 🙂

Yes, you are so close..
ForAll(ComboBox.SelectedItems,Collect('List1',{Column1: Var1.Text,Column2: Var2.Text,Column3: Var3.Text,Column4: ComboBox.Selected.Value}))

You have set the Column4 to ComboBox.Selected.Value. You need to change it and assign the DisplayedComboBoxColumn to Column4.
What I mean is..
CompoBox has a table as a source. I don't know the name of the source. It can be a collection or a list or whatever.
Let's name the source of the Compobox, Collection1.
Collection1 is a table and has columns. You can see the items, of Collection1 from a specific column, in the Compobox. I named that column DisplayedComboBoxColumn. So, 
ForAll(ComboBox.SelectedItems,Collect('List1',{Column1: Var1.Text,Column2: Var2.Text,Column3: Var3.Text,Column4: DisplayedComboBoxColumn})

If you still have issues, can you please provide the source of your compobox and its structure?

Frequent Visitor

Hi Mike,

Thanks again for the reply and help! So close, but yet so far!!

CombiBox Source = Collecton name "Set1" with two Columns "Column 1" & "Column 2"

This created the Collection "Set1" - ClearCollect(Set1, {Column1: "1", Column2:"x"}, {Column1: "2",Column2:"y"} ,{Column1: "3",Column2:"z"})

ComboBox.Items = Set1.Column2

Button 2 = Clear('List1') ; ForAll(ComboBox.SelectedItems,Collect('List1',{Column1:Var1.Text,Column2:Var2.Text,Column3:Var3.Text,Column4:Set1.Column2}))

Returns: [object Object],[object Object],[object Object] (Screenshot 3 - attahced)

Using a lookup returns the last value in the SelectedItems only: (Screenshot 4 - attahced)

Button 2 = Clear('List1') ; ForAll(ComboBox.SelectedItems,Collect('List1',{Column1:Var1.Text,Column2:Var2.Text,Column3:Var3.Text,Column4:LookUp(Set1,Column2 = ComboBox.Selected.Column2,Column2)}))

Thanks again for your help!

Ian

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (95,054)