Kudo Kingpin

ComboBox and SharePoint ID's

Good morning Community. Happy Friday!

I have this question and I hope someone could point me in the right direction:

I have 3 Sharepoint lists:

Departments

Employess

Cards.

I have my "Form" connected with my SPL "Cards" in that list I am saving the ID's of the selected items in my comboboxes. When I am in edit/new mode I would like to see the combobox value not the ID, but still able to save the ID once the item is selected.

For instance in the below chart I have selected for department "Quality" and for employee "Louis M" and I am saving those ID's in my SPL "Cards".

But the default value of those combobox I would like to see the value instead of the ID, Something like a Vloopup against the collection?

I don't know, I have been trying to figure out with no success.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards.

sajarac_0-1620993356306.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@sajarac 

For the Departments Combobox:

Items property should be:    Departments

DefaultSelectedItems property should be : LookUp(Departments, ID=Parent.Default)

For the Employee combobox:

Items property should be : Employees

The DefaultSelectedItems property should be: LookUp(Employees, ID=Parent.Default)

The Collections and ShowColumns are just extra overhead for your app and you don't need them.

I hope this is helpful for you.

EDIT: I realized you mentioned you were just storing the ID (I had assumed a Lookup column).  I've adjusted the above to reflect what you have.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@sajarac 

For the Departments Combobox:

Items property should be:    Departments

DefaultSelectedItems property should be : LookUp(Departments, ID=Parent.Default)

For the Employee combobox:

Items property should be : Employees

The DefaultSelectedItems property should be: LookUp(Employees, ID=Parent.Default)

The Collections and ShowColumns are just extra overhead for your app and you don't need them.

I hope this is helpful for you.

EDIT: I realized you mentioned you were just storing the ID (I had assumed a Lookup column).  I've adjusted the above to reflect what you have.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

sajarac
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Oh boy. Thank you very much. I will adjust accordingly. I thought that making collections was a good practice instead of working against the data. but I will follow your advice

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@sajarac 

There is no value to the collections in this case, unless you are working offline or have a need to add or remove rows to the collection in your app.  

As for the ShowColumns, it is a misunderstanding that using the ShowColumns reduces the amount of data transferred (and thus it is a good performance tip)...it is not.  The DataSource always returns all the columns, the ShowColumns just takes that table and removes all the other not mentioned columns.  So, really, in this context, it's just more or a hit on performance for the extra step.  

Now...keep in mind, both Collections and ShowColumns have their place and value.  Just not in your case.

sajarac
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

Oh Boy, I would like to do something like the Matrix needle scene. I need to transfer your knowledge.

Thank you very much. 

Problem solved.

sajarac_2-1620999500000.png

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@sajarac 

I'm working on that App 😂😂  For now we can only choose the red pill or the blue pill. 😁

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (2,529)