cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

ComboBox is not working with large dataset

I am  stuck in the middle of large dataset in PowerApps. I am cascading the combobox and successfully got it but the problem is my dataset is with large dataset.

Example: ComboBox1.Items : Choices(DataSourceName,ColumnName) [This is working fine]

ComboBox2.Items : Filter(DataSourceName, StartsWith(ColumnName.Value, ComboBox1.Selected.Value)).Title [This is also working fine but only when I am selecting 22nd value from combobox1. When I am selecting 23rd value from combobox1 the second combobox is not cascading the values.]

I increased the value from 500 to 2000 in AppSetting already but still not working.

Please help!!!!

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: ComboBox is not working with large dataset

@trickytechie 

How large is the dataset? And what is the DataSource?

Your Filter formula is not delegable, so, if it is large beyond the datasource limits, you will not get accurate results.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@RandyHayes ,

Dataset has 4K records and source is SharePoint list.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @trickytechie ,

Could you please share a bit more about the data structure of your SP list?

Could you please share a bit more about the column name that you mentioned? Is it a Choice type column or LookUp type column in your SP list?

I suppose that you have faced a Delegation warning issue with the formula that you provided, is it true? If you have faced a Delegation warning issue with your formula, you could only process 500 reocrds locally at most in default (You could change the limit to 2000).

Note: The Choice type column or LookUp type column could not be used within StartsWith() function.

If the position of the corresponding record the 23rd value (selected from your ComboBox1) related to in your SP list is more than 2000, you would not get the corresponding Title value.

Please check and see if the following blog would help in your scenario:

https://blog.coeo.com/davidmorrison/powerapps-500-record-limit-delegation-and-how-to-work-around-it

As an alternative solution, you could consider take a try to add a extra Single line of text type column ("ExtraColumn") in your SP list to store the same value as that in your Choice column or LookUp column (ColumnName that you mentioned). Then modify your formula as below:

Filter(
'YourSPList',
StartsWith(ExtraColumn, ComboBox1.Selected.Value)
)

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@trickytechie 

That is too large for pulling in all the records in a standard way.  You might need to consider pulling in all the records into a local collection and then using that as your datasource.  Otherwise, you will definitely see the issues you are seeing.

You might want to take a look at this recent post that covers a lot of good ideas on how to pull large lists locally.

I hope this is helpful for you

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thanks for posting in the community @trickytechie - can you review the above replies and update the thread if they were helpful? If you require further assistance I will do more research as well. 

Thank you,

@TopShelf-MSFT 

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020 Winner Announced

Check it out!

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (10,117)