Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oskarkuus
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Combobox - limit how many values is shown in list, force user to search

I have a sharepoint list with a "person" column

In powerapps i have a form and the datacard connected to the sharepoint list column Person

So i have a combobox that display all office365 users

Can i make it so that the combobox does not show all users in a long list. I want the user to search for a user and not pick by scrolling. I want to maybe show top 5 users when a user is searching and get rid of the huge long list of users

Is this doable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

OK @Oskarkuus ,

I did a bit more research as I do not use this field type a lot.

You might want to have a look at this post as it should be very useful to you.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @Oskarkuus ,

Firstly, the number of items displayed in a Combo Box is determined by the filter (if any applied). If you can limit the display by filtering on (say) Department, then you will have a smaller list. If this list is within Delegable limits (500 standard, but you can increase to 2000), then switch on "Allow Searching". This will do what you require and allow the user to type in characters and any name containing these will be displayed for choice.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

I dont understand how that will fix my issue.

the problem i am having is that i do not want to Show a long list of all users. I only want the user to be able to search and not scroll around in a list of hundreds of options. I dont want the user to direct see all options, instead options are only visible when actually searching for something.

How can i set a limit to only show top 5 results in my dropdown and not show everything when the search field is empty?

Hi @Oskarkuus ,

You did not say how many users were potentially available, but I will give you two scenarios.

If they are under 2000 and you have increased the limit in Advanced Settings to this, the search box will work and the user will see matching items as soon as they type in characters.

If more than 2000, you really have to filter the list somehow as the Search function will not. be available. The Delegation limits on Power Apps Search function unfortunately make some things challenging.

I dont understand what you mean.

I do not want to show all users in a huge list. I want to use the combobox search option only.
So when user click on combobox, i dont want to show any alternatives!

The combobox is a person column from sharepoint. It lists all users and groups, more than 2000

What filter can i write?

OK @Oskarkuus ,

I did a bit more research as I do not use this field type a lot.

You might want to have a look at this post as it should be very useful to you.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

secondImage

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, October 20th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,574)