Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate III
Advocate III

Common Data Model - Understanding Companies, Business Units and Cost Centers

Hello,

While trying to populate the CDM with some info, I am having a hard time understanding the modeling they're doing.

A Company has a one-to-many relationships to both Business Unit and Cost Center, but Empoyees also has a one-to-many relationship to Cost Center.

Why does Employee has a lookup to Cost Center, but not Business Unit and why does Business Unit have a Cost Center?

I am just not following what an organization would look like.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Power Apps
Power Apps

Re: Common Data Model - Understanding Companies, Business Units and Cost Centers

Hi Stvcdms,

Thanks for your post - your confusion is well founded, this is an area we need to correct in the current data model. Cost Centers should have a 1:m relationship to Business Unit, and Business Unit should have a 1:m relationship to Employee.

The Cost Center should not have a direct relationship to the Employee, instead it should be derived from the Business Unit.

I've raised a bug to correct this in an upcoming update.

Thanks,

Clay

Program Manager - Common Data Platform

Thanks,
Clay.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Common Data Model - Understanding Companies, Business Units and Cost Centers

Hi Stvcdms,

This article about “Understand entities in the Microsoft Common Data Model” would be a reference for you.

The link of the article is:
https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/data-platform-intro/

In the “Standard entities” section within this article, there is a document link about “Microsoft Common Data Model, Entities reference”. You could also refer to it. 

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Advocate III
Advocate III

Thanks Mabel,

I am familiar with that document, it doens't do much to actually explain the modeling, it's just showing the attributes and relationships.

The Organizations ERD has one table, Company. It's not really helpful.

The Foundation ERD has Company, Business Unit, and Cost Center modeled, but again I am not sure how it makes sense.

How do you model an employee in IT and an employee in  a consulting/profit generating part of the company?

The employee in IT can be have a Cost Center that makese sense, but the employee that's consuting can't have a Business Unit. Also why does a Business Unit have a Cost Center relationship?

Steve

Highlighted
Power Apps
Power Apps

Hi Stvcdms,

Thanks for your post - your confusion is well founded, this is an area we need to correct in the current data model. Cost Centers should have a 1:m relationship to Business Unit, and Business Unit should have a 1:m relationship to Employee.

The Cost Center should not have a direct relationship to the Employee, instead it should be derived from the Business Unit.

I've raised a bug to correct this in an upcoming update.

Thanks,

Clay

Program Manager - Common Data Platform

Thanks,
Clay.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Advocate III
Advocate III

Clay,

Last question is around a Business Unit having a Cost Center. In company/business models I am familiar with something like IT or HR might be a Cost Center, while a Business Unit would be a Profit Center. In the CDM, IS Cost center really something different? Is it the billing/financial structure of the company? I would not expect a Profit Center to have a Cost Center, but if the Cost Center is more of a billing/finance structure like Direct or Indirect billing accounts, it makes more sense to me.

Steve

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,714)