cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bz3361
Regular Visitor

Common Data Model sync with external system

Is there a way to sync data between Common Data Model and an external data source? For example, I build a PowerApp with CDM. The data in CDM sync with an external data source. Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
v-monli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi bz,

I think you cannot "Sync" data between Common Data Model and an external data source, but you can import and export them as per the article says:
https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-powerapps-common-data-model/

Data import can be used for both initial bulk data migrations into CDM from external source or for ad hoc import of data where CDM platform can intelligently insert or update data.

Export data, on the other hand, enables user to output data in an asynchronous fashion for integration or quick analysis. You can also bulk edit the exported data in excel and then import the data back.

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you.

I am aware of the import and export function.

I was looking for some automated way to sync data so that manual intervention is not required. 

If it's not avialable as of today, what's happening regarding this on the product roadmap?

Thank you again

@bz3361, currently there is no public news on whether PG team considers enabling data sync between CDM and external data sources. However, you can submit one feature request in the PowerApps Ideas forum: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas, and our engineers will evaluate it. 

Would a FLOW be usefull in this matter?

I used a flow that I set to:  Everytime I added a new record to a my CDM table --> copy that record to my SPO list.

Anyway, it worked for me.

Good luck.

bz3361
Regular Visitor

Very good point.

I have two scenarios to support. May I have your opinion in terms of the best flow action to use?

1. from external system to CDM: I have a rest (could be servlet) endpoint built my own. Invoke the endpoint to push some data into CDM. Is this possible? 

2. from CDM to external system: when CDM has a record update event happens, it invokes a rest service by passing all the attribute values of the record in json format. 

Thank you

I'm sorry, but I'm not the guy to answer your questions.

I'm happy I figured out the FLOW Sharepoint routine.

Good luck to you-as I am no help.

The roadmap shared in one of the recent webinars indicated that CDS Office 365 data sync and a Data API Image16.jpgImage24.jpg

are estimated to be available in the first half of 2017.

Unfortunately I cannot access the recordings to verify the details:

US-PowerBI-WBNR-FY17-10Oct-27-Managing-data-and-applications-just-got-easier-267380_Registration.htm...US-PowerBI-WBNR-FY17-11Nov-03-AnnouncingPowerAppsgeneralavailability271671.html

These pages are not sending out links in emails as indicated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Users online (4,504)