We are currently experiencing major problems with Common Data Services. All of our custom entities appear to have no data in them and when we connect to the CDS from any of our power apps we get yellow triangle saying "An error occurred on the server". Is there any place to go to find logs or details about exactly what is happening in our environment? Please advise as we are not able to continue development until this problem is resolved.
What’s your current situation? Are you still having the issue with Common Data Service?
How about stand entities on your side? Are they having the same issue?
How long have you been experiencing this issue?
What’s your location?
Could you provide a Session ID for further investigation?
I just checked both custom entities and standard entities in my environment. Data are properly shown on the entities, when I create an app based on the custom entities, I don’t get the error message you mentioned.
Please help collect the above information.
Best regards, Mabel Mao
Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Thanks for the reply. Fortunately we are not experiencing the problem any longer. I was able to connect back to our Common Data Service the evening I posted this message, but then it was down again the following day for a few hours and then came back online. The problem we had affected standard and custom entities alike. We have opened up a Service Request and have been comunicating back and forth with them on this issue. The latest status is to wait and see if it happens again and we will contact them with additional information about our environment. If that happens, I will follow up on this thread.