cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
biterbit
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Component custom properties not being used by app

I have been experimenting with creating reusable title and navigation components in my apps. I have the components working but find that when I open the app containing the components, some of the custom component properties are not being used. I have several properties for each component, controlling things like text sizes and colours. When my app opens up some of the text sizes are incorrect and seem to be those stored as defaults in the component and not those shown in the app component's properties. If I overwrite the app component's property values the app will then display correctly, but the values are ignored again when the app is saved and reopened.

Is there anything I need to do to get the app to read its custom values at start-up?

12 REPLIES 12
CNT
Super User
Super User

@biterbit How are you applying the Input parameters to the component properties? Could you share a few screen shots.

@CNT - thanks for the quick response. I've attached two screenshots of the component (TitleBar) properties and a screenshot of the same component in an app (TitleBar_1). The custom properties that seem to revert to the default component values are TitleTextSize and TitleIconSize. The other properties seem to retain their app values (though the Color values are the same in the component as the app).

@biterbit What are the controls inside the component? Is the TitleTextSize and TitleIconSize Input property values applied to these controls? 

biterbit
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Yes - I have a label with a Text property of TitleBar.TitleText and an icon with Height and Width properties set to TitleBar.TitleIconSize.

Sorry - I meant I have a label with a Size property of NavMenu.MenuTextSize.

biterbit
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

@CNT Yes - I have a label with a Size property of NavMenu.MenuTextSize and an icon with Height and Width properties set to TitleBar.TitleIconSize.

@biterbit I'm a bit confused. Do you have 1 or 2 components? If 2 are you having the issue in both?

@CNT - Yes I have two components: one to display a title bar and menu icon and one to display the menu when the icon is clicked. I separated the two parts to avoid issues with the component being in front of other controls. The title bar component works as expected, but the menu component seems to be erratic in its reading of the custom properties controlling the text and icon size. When the menu is first displayed it seems to use the size parameters from the component's default values. After that it correctly picks up the size parameters from the custom input properties. I've attached two screenshots to illustrate what I see when the app is launched and then when the menu has been used once.

biterbit
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

@CNT I have added the same components to a fresh app to ensure the anomaly I am seeing is not app-specific. I have added the two components to a new screen, configured all the input parameters, and then copied the configured components to two additional screens in the same app. When I navigate between the three screens the first screen displays the menu in the default text size stored in the component whereas the other two screens correctly show the menu in the text size configured in the component's input parameters. In the attached GIF you can see the effect: the first screen is named 'Counsellor Profile' and the other two screens are named 'Centre Profile and 'Service Profile'.

Is this a bug with the PowerApps component implementation?

PowerApps Component behaviour.gif

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,007)