cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danbarrett
Frequent Visitor

Components across environments

Hello,

I am quite new to PowerApps and developing my first canvas app that has multiple SharePoint data sources.  I am trying to figure out the best ALM strategy and have setup three environments for Dev, Staging and Production.  I have practiced moving from Dev to Staging using a managed Solution and SharePoint data source environment variables which works great.  I also have about three component libraries that are used in the app and I included these in the solution package, and they seemed to come across fine but the app is still referencing the components in the dev environment.  Any ideas how components libraries are meant to be managed across environments?

6 REPLIES 6
v-xiaochen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @danbarrett ,

Please try this:

1\ In environment A edit your component library.

vxiaochenmsft_0-1624328172178.png

2\ Choose Save as ->This Computer to download your component library.

vxiaochenmsft_1-1624328290239.png

3\ Go to environment B. Create a canvas app and choose Open->Browse to import the  component library.

vxiaochenmsft_2-1624328440907.png

Finally, Save the component library to cloud.

vxiaochenmsft_3-1624328494269.png

Now the environment B has the component library.

Best Regards,
Wearsky
If my post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help others. Thanks.

Hi, thanks for your reply.  I followed your instructions and made a copy of the component library in environment B, however:

If I then make a change to the component library it does not update in my app.  If I make a change to the original component library in environment A it will filter through and update my app in environment B.  So the library components in my app is pointing to environment A.

How can I import solutions through environments that are referencing component libraries?

Thanks

v-xiaochen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @danbarrett ,

At my knowledge , this is difficult to achieve.

I don't know if there is a way to achieve this requirement.

Hope others can help you.

Best Regards,

Wearsky

Thanks, if someone can provide some information on this I will be extremely grateful.

Just to recap on my issue:

• In my DEV environment I have built a canvas app
  • In my DEV environment I have also built a component library and imported these to my canvas app
  • If I make a change to the component library it will prompt to update the component in the app
  • I packaged the canvas app and component libraries into a solution and exported to PROD environment
  • In the PROD environment the components are still referencing the DEV environment
    • If I make a change to the component library in DEV it will prompt an update to the app in PROD
    • If I make a change to the component library in PROD (which was imported in the solution) nothing happens in my app

Any ideas how I should manage component libraries through environments?  Is it ok to leave the component libraries in the DEV environment and reference it in the PROD app?

Many thanks

Dan

danbarrett
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, if someone can provide some information on this I will be extremely grateful.

Just to recap on my issue:

• In my DEV environment I have built a canvas app
  • In my DEV environment I have also built a component library and imported these to my canvas app
  • If I make a change to the component library it will prompt to update the component in the app
  • I packaged the canvas app and component libraries into a solution and exported to PROD environment
  • In the PROD environment the components are still referencing the DEV environment
    • If I make a change to the component library in DEV it will prompt an update to the app in PROD
    • If I make a change to the component library in PROD (which was imported in the solution) nothing happens in my app

Any ideas how I should manage component libraries through environments?  Is it ok to leave the component libraries in the DEV environment and reference it in the PROD app?

Many thanks

Dan

danbarrett
Frequent Visitor

Can anyone help on this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,940)