cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Components - input parameters based on variables not working any more (bug?)

I have created some apps that rely on components to (for example) display stuff based on some input parameters. At some point in the last week (?) they stopped working properly (they were working fine before).

For example, I have a component that displays a text based on an input parameter "Text". On the form, the "Text" property of the component is set to "variable.name". But the label on the component that should display that value stays empty.

See attached example.

/edit: The example I attached only shows this with regard to displaying a text on a label in a component. But what makes this worse is that some of my components also have internal conditional logic to them based on boolean (or other) input variables. If that's not working, well that kind of breaks the whole app...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Power Apps
Power Apps

Re: Components - input parameters based on variables not working any more (bug?)

Hi @MrNappa @Safouene @Anonymous ,

A fix was rolled out earlier today for the issue involving components and global variables. Can you let me know if it has resolved the issue for you?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Components - input parameters based on variables not working any more (bug?)

Same problem here.

If you pass a variable parameter to the component and the variable value changes. The parameter becomes empty!!

Tested with a text, array, object parameters and always same buggy behavior.

I have a lot of components in different apps, fortunately it keeps working on the already published versions, i don't even dare to update them.

I've remarked also, if you pass this variable to a control on your app (let's say on the control text) and then pass to the component myControl.text, it keeps working. But we all know this is a very bad practice!

Hope Fixes this ASAP.

Highlighted

Finally,

i've found a solution for this. Hope this helps if someone is facing the same problem

• Origin: the problem is with Global variables; If a global variable is updated, the parameter becomes empty on the component
  • Solution: Instead of passing global variables, pass local variables
    • What i did, is on the 'Screen OnVisible' or the buttons 'OnSelect' as last Line, i've set UpdateContext( { locMyVariable: GlbMyVariable } )
    • In the component instead of passing GlbMyVariable, i pass locMyVariable
    • if you have a lot a variable parameters to pass to the component(s), you can all the updatecontext under a concurrent function
    • The parameters on the component should raise component reset

Frankly, i hope MS will fix this, so we can pass Global variables as parameters to the components. In more, there is now the Component library, so if i'm going to publish some components to be used by the 'Citizen developers', i'm not sure if they will understand / like the fact that they should use local variables each time instead of using the same variable everywhere.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Highlighted
Power Apps
Power Apps

Hi @MrNappa @Safouene @Anonymous ,

A fix was rolled out earlier today for the issue involving components and global variables. Can you let me know if it has resolved the issue for you?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

So far, it looks like it's working again. Thanks!

Highlighted

Hello,

Yes, it's working!

Thanks for the quick and great support.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,288)