Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EddieE
Super User
Super User

Concat Max length

Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience using Concat to get an extra long string of filenames from a SharePoint Document Library? I'm wanting to use this process to check if a filename exists in the Library before saving via PowerApps.

My code:

// Boolean test to check if filename exists
Label10.Text in Concat(
    ForAll(
        myLibraryName,
        {FileName: ThisRecord.Name}
    ),
    FileName & ","
)

Wrapping my ForAll() in Len() shows there are ~4400 characters from 82 filenames, currently in the Library. Future plans could see this DocLib expand and I'm wondering if I should be doing this differently for longevity?

Any input welcome.

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @EddieE ,

Consider storing your file name in a Text field with a Flow when it is first created (I do that on a large Library I have and call it NameFile)

IsBlank(
   LookUp(
      myLibraryName,
      NameFile = Label10.Text
   )
)

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

MVP (Business Applications)   Visit my blog Practical Power Apps

View solution in original post

@WarrenBelz 

Thanks for the reply mate - haven't you retired haha 😛

I did some further testing on a library I had access to with a large number of files, findings were

- the ForAll() peaked out at 2,000 records - this was expected

- the Concat() on those 2,000 records got up to ~50,000 characters returned

I suspect that Concat() could go further than that - not sure really. 

I will take your suggestion onboard and keep it in my back pocket for when/if this library expands beyond 2k records - seems my ForAll() should be good for now, and possibly for the life of this app 🙂

Cheers again mate!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @EddieE ,

Consider storing your file name in a Text field with a Flow when it is first created (I do that on a large Library I have and call it NameFile)

IsBlank(
   LookUp(
      myLibraryName,
      NameFile = Label10.Text
   )
)

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

MVP (Business Applications)   Visit my blog Practical Power Apps

@WarrenBelz 

Thanks for the reply mate - haven't you retired haha 😛

I did some further testing on a library I had access to with a large number of files, findings were

- the ForAll() peaked out at 2,000 records - this was expected

- the Concat() on those 2,000 records got up to ~50,000 characters returned

I suspect that Concat() could go further than that - not sure really. 

I will take your suggestion onboard and keep it in my back pocket for when/if this library expands beyond 2k records - seems my ForAll() should be good for now, and possibly for the life of this app 🙂

Cheers again mate!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,978)