cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mogulman
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Confused on PowerApps Licensing Changes.

I am confused on PowerApps licensing changes that go into effect in October 2019.  Let me describe my scenario.

1. We are a small legal business with less than 10 employees.

2. We switched from Salesforce to Microsoft about 2 years ago.

3. We all have Microsoft 365 Business licenses which comes with PowerApps.

4. I'll be using Azure SQL DB for all data.  This provides incredible flexibility for robust business apps.

5. I'm temporally developing app using On-premise Data Connector and SQL Server.  This allows me use SQL Profiler to debug problems and optimize performance.  I'll be switching to Azure SQL DB in the next month.

Switching to Microsoft from Salesforce provides a lot more flexibility.  Azure Functions is great to extend PowerApp capability.  I'm not using HTTP request.

What impact will the October changes have in my case?

11 REPLIES 11

Check to see if you have a Power Apps Trial license.  Otherwise, your license may be grandfathered in for a year from October,2019 to October 1, 2020.  But after that or when your trial license expires you will be required to have a premium license.  Even if the app existed prior to October 1, 2019 with a SQL connector you would still be required to have a premium license for the On-premises gateway.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Join me at 365 and PWR EduCon in Chicago
EduCon Chicago 2022

We are going to leave the powerapps platform and go back to html psp design.. since we are dependent on some sql data in addition to sharepoint.
The price for us with 180 users became to lage.. $7200 /month just for the sql connector.

this does not seem very well thought out by microsoft. We can also then cancel 130 e3 licenses 😉
I know several in our community that going the same way. Mobil today is crustal and Powerapps that seemed to be a god solution didn't last long

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ignite 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Super User 2 - 2022 Congratulations

Welcome Super Users

The Super User program for 2022 - Season 2 has kicked off!

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Users online (1,949)