cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikemagill

Connect Radio Control to EditForm

I want to replace the current dropdown box that is linked to my SharePoint list with a Radio Control.  While I can add a Radio Control to the Edit Screen, I can't seem to add it within the EditForm.

I'm sorry, I'm quite new to this.

6 REPLIES 6
mr-dang
Community Champion
Community Champion

Your problem may be due to this:

• Your card that has a dropdown box is locked. It cannot be edited until you unlock it in the Advanced panel.
  • Depending on what you have clicked, things you insert will appear at different locations.2017-02-23.png

Cards inside the form are locked so that PowerApps can easily switch its content from one control to another while maintaining its template design. Once you are satisfied with the basics, that's when you want to unlock fields for individual changes.

1. In the image above, you will see the Advanced Panel on the righthand side.
  2. Click the Unlock button so that you can edit the card to include things that aren't possible in the default template. 
  3. Select the desired Card inside the Form.
  4. Insert > Radio control

A radio control should appear inside the Card if this is done correctly.

Microsoft Employee
@8bitclassroom
Meneghino
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @mikemagill

@mr-dang's solution is correct.  However, you may find that as your customisation needs evolve, it may be easier to create your own form from scratch using the individual controls rather than trying to customise the edit form.  This gives much more flexibility.  Please come back for advice on that if needed in future.

I have made some small progress but I'm struggling to get what I want. Perhaps if I explain in more detail you might be able to point me in the right direction.

I have three SharePoint lists; Locations, Event Names and Attendance.  The Attendance list is linked to the Locations and Event Names lists so that the user can record the attendance at any event in any location.  When I create a PowerApps app automatically it works perfectly with a drop-down box for Location and Event Names.  The thing is I would like to make it easier for the user by providing radio controls instead of the drop-down boxes.  However, I can't seem to link the radio controls so that they work the same as the drop-downs.

Can anyone help?  I'm sorry this is very new to me.

My personal opinion is that I would forget about forms and create a screen from zero, a blank custom app.

Then do the following, except that I have left a ??? as I do not know how you identify who attended the event, if you clarify I can be of more help:

1. Connect your three lists as data sources
  2. Create two radio controls and set their Items property to Locations and 'Event Names' respectively
  3. Create a button and set its OnSelect property to:
    Patch(Attendance, Defaults(Attendance),
    {MyPersonColumn: ???,
    MyLocationsColumn: {Id: Radio1.Selected.ID, Value: Radio1.Selected.Title, '@odata.type': "#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference"},
    MyEventNamesColumn: {Id: Radio2.Selected.ID, Value: Radio2.Selected.Title, '@odata.type': "#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference"}
    })

Please let me know if anything is unclear or does not work.

Hi.  Thank you for your patience.  I've read up on the Patch formula and understand it in principle but can't seem to fill in the missing gaps properly.

Let me explain my list structure in full:

Locations

• Title (renamed as Location)
  • Short Name

Event Names

• Title (renamed as Event Name)

Total Attendance

• Date
  • Count
  • Title (renamed as Comments)

Would you be able to explain the syntax of the Patch formula in more detail and show how the other fields (Date, Count and Comments) are included in the formula.

Many thanks

Hi again @mikemagill

Apologies for the time lag, but have been busy.  It is also important to understand what type of fields the below are.

I assume all Title fields are single lines of text, and I will assume that the others are what they appear to be.

Try this as a patch formula.

Patch(Attendance, Defaults(Attendance),
{Location: {Id: Radio1.Selected.ID, Value: Radio1.Selected.Title, '@odata.type': "#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference"},
'Event Name':  {Id: Radio2.Selected.ID, Value: Radio2.Selected.Title, '@odata.type': "#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference"},
Date: MyDate,
Count: MyCount,
Title: MyComment
})

Please let me know what specific issues you have.

I normally never rename the Title column in SharePoint and never use non-printable characters (i.e. space) in list or column names, so that the above may need to be edited.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,927)