Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LYNCHJL
Helper II
Helper II

Connect to data table in List item Excel Attachment

Hi,

I have a list with one excel attachment - a sheet has a table with the following fields: Name, DOB, Job

When I open the list item form I’d like a way to read the excel attachment table and pull the data into Powerapps. 

Once the data is in powerapps, I would like to have a button for each table item to open a separate window to run a google search in on Name and Job.

Is this possible?

thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @LYNCHJL ,

No, it is not possible to read data from an attachment, but you can store Excel files in OneDrive and link to them as a data source. Is this what you are asking?

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

v-qiaqi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi@LYNCHJL,

Combine that with the description you provided, do you mean that you want to directly open the Excel attachment in PowerApps?

As we know, for attachments, currently it is only available to download, there is no methods to preview the attachments directly within PowerApps.

So far, PowerApps supports downloading and a browser to open the attachment file. You neither read the attachment nor google table items by clicking the button.

Here is a similar idea you can vote: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/Word-Office-documents-viewer-control-in-PowerAp...

Best Regards,

Qi

Best Regards,

Qi

Best Regards,
Qi

Hi @WarrenBelz , thank you for all the help.  I understand I cannot extract the excel data from a list item however in searching around online I found a workaround but am still stuck.

What I am trying to do is extract the data from a table in excel file after it is saved to a document library and save the data into a SP list.  I will then use this data in my powerapp. 

I am getting stuck because Flow is requiring me to identify the file name and Table name in the flow and I cannot do that because each file will have a unique name.  The table name will always be Table1.

I am looking to pull the following fields into the new SP List from the excel file:

Title = Name of File

Last Name

First Name

DOB

Place of Birth

Rank

Job

Attached are screenshots of the flow so far.  I am getting an error because Table1 cannot be found.  Note I entered Table1 manually.

Is there an easier or better way to do this?

Thank you!

Hi @LYNCHJL ,

Firstly I do not use the connector you have shown, however from other similar exercises I have done, there are many occasions that Flow simply needs you to identify the file (a Word Merge is one and seems similar to this) as it needs to map the contents and simply will not allow dynamic content as it will have no idea what is coming in.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,082)