cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andy_emms
Regular Visitor

Connecting to ODBC data

Hi All

I have read through all the forums and it looks like there is going to be no ODBC connector available for powerapps anytime soon. Iwas thinking there may be a way of loading the data into excel through power query, setting that to auto refresh and then reference this data is powerapps... My only problem with this is that it would mean I need an excel file permanently open so the data can refresh.

Has anyone got any ideas how I can build on this concept, maybe importing the data into sharepoint lists or something else... I am racking my brain and not getting anywhere... I really need to access this ODBC data through power apps.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
mogulman
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

What database are you accessing using ODBC?  I had to get some data from ODBC for a PA app.  I'm using Azure SQL DB.  I just wrote a simple Excel VBA program to move data one time.  ODBC is just not a reliable connector for web based apps.  If you have to constantly access this data is there some other connector you can use for DB. 

Hi @mogulman 

Thanks for replying. The data is from an Advantage Database and from what I have found there is no other way of getting to it other than using ODBC. I don't need to write to the database, just read from it.

(I should also state that I am no programmer or database wiz... I am an Operations Manager who has fallen in love with Powerapps and trying my best to learn as I go!!)

You can connect to Advantage DB using using ODBC or JDBC connector.  I'm assuming this is an on-premise DB.  You could write a C# program using the SharePoint client object model (CSOM) that reads the Advantage DB and populates a Sharepoint list of the required data.  It could run every hour or so.  I looked at this a long time ago when I was considering moving a PA app using Azure SQL DB to Sharepoint.  There were too many advantages to using Azure SQL DB to justify the cost savings.

Thanks @mogulman 

I have read through but I have to be honest, it's a bit beyond my abilities... Not to worry, I will stick to manually update an excel spreadsheet for now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

secondImage

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, October 20th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,530)