cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anyalynn
Level: Power Up

Connecting to SharePoint Online after adding new field

I have several PowerApp forms that update SharePoint Lists.  These forms are not built from within SharePoint but by creating a PowerApp and then connecting it to the SharePoint list.  Sometimes I have to add new fields to my lists and then I go to PowerApps to update the form to include the new field.  PowerApps has a really hard time reconnecting to the list.  All of the forms show red x's and I have to go to each form separately and refresh the datasource several times before the errors go away.  If I only update one of the forms in the PowerApp and publish, the other forms will break even though they all use the same datasource.  It can take 10-15 minutes to get the PowerApp to refresh the connections and to stop displaying errors although I have no problem connecting to the SharePoint lists normally. 

Next, I go to a form to add the new field and it is very difficult to get the field in the right position on the form.  I have lots of "if" statements on the other fields to determine when they are visible.  When I rearrange my fields from the dropdown for editing the fields and put my "if" statements on the new field, my entire form reformats and I have to make all the fields visible, rearrange them again, and readd the visibility rules for all the fields in the form.  With 20+ fields per form this is a lot of work.  It makes doing updates almost impossible.  I've looked all over for people having this problem and I haven't found any good solutions.  I would be interested in finding out if anyone has a different experience with this type of use case.

4 REPLIES 4
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Connecting to SharePoint Online after adding new field

Hi @Anyalynn 

The rearraning of items has been a pain point for long

I tend to mostly turn snpa to columns to Off for the Form Control which eases most of the pain

Regards,

Reza Dorrani

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Super User
Super User

Hi @Anyalynn 

If you are trying to change the structure of an underlying datasource from within PowerApps, it is likely impossible to do this.  It was by design meant to prevent users from creating or modifying datasources. If users could do this, it would create havoc for app designers.  If you are adding fields to a list in SharePoint, or creating a new list, the best way to do this is from within SharePoint itself. 

Anyalynn

The snap to columns is off.  It has to do with the visibility rules.  It seems like you have to apply them in order.  If you try to insert a field with a new visibility rule in the desired location, the entire form reformats.

Anyalynn

I am adding the field to the SharePoint list first.  Then I go to the PowerApp and try to update my formThis shouldn't be a problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (6,754)