Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SaifAli
Helper III
Helper III

Connection Issues - Individual user authentication and access

Hi Team,

So I am new to Power apps and i'm creating an app which actually maps the inputs from the frontend with a backend file on One drive and then posts the mapped data to a REST API 

For this I'm using power apps in the front to capture the inputs from user and then using power automate to map the inputs and send it to a 3rd party REST API.

The issue is that the connector "One Drive" actually uses a service account credentials for authentication and the mappings are stored in an excel there which needs to be pulled. When I share this app with another user they are prompted to authenticate connections with their individual accounts. Now if they authenticate then the One drive connection would be their individual one drive which doesn't have the mappings file.

For Ex  as seen below : 

InkedMicrosoftTeams-image (24)_LI.jpg

For security concerns i can't share that mappings file to all the users using my power app. Its just a backend database used by the app.

Is there a way i can use my default service account to authenticate in the one drive ??

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
BCLS776
Super User
Super User

Based on what you've shared, only half of your problem can be solved through Power Apps. One of the key features of the platform is that security is tied to the credentials of the user logged in to the app. So, if users need a certain file to use the app properly, then they need access to that file. This also means they can access the file directly if they go looking for it. There is no completely effective way to thwart that.

Instead of OneDrive, consider storing the file on Sharepoint, which is not segregated by users. The same file in a single location can be shared amongst your entire user group.

Hope that helps,

Bryan

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Help the community help more users by choosing to "Accept as Solution" if this post met your needs. If you liked the post and want to show some appreciation, please give it a Thumbs Up.

@BCLS776 Even if I store that file to Sharepoint i still need to provide access to it to the entire group, which is something i can't do

BCLS776
Super User
Super User

@SaifAli wrote:

Hi Team,

So I am new to Power apps and i'm creating an app which actually maps the inputs from the frontend with a backend file on One drive and then posts the mapped data to a REST API 

For this I'm using power apps in the front to capture the inputs from user and then using power automate to map the inputs and send it to a 3rd party REST API.

The issue is that the connector "One Drive" actually uses a service account credentials for authentication and the mappings are stored in an excel there which needs to be pulled. When I share this app with another user they are prompted to authenticate connections with their individual accounts. Now if they authenticate then the One drive connection would be their individual one drive which doesn't have the mappings file.

For Ex  as seen below : 

InkedMicrosoftTeams-image (24)_LI.jpg

For security concerns i can't share that mappings file to all the users using my power app. Its just a backend database used by the app.

Is there a way i can use my default service account to authenticate in the one drive ??

Thanks

Unfortunately, you will keep running into this problem. The file must be shared with the users for them to use it with the app.

Instead, are you able to hard code the info from the file into your app?

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Help the community help more users by choosing to "Accept as Solution" if this post met your needs. If you liked the post and want to show some appreciation, please give it a Thumbs Up.

The last resort for me could be hardcoding the contents in the power automate flow itself as a JSON file and then parse it and create all the mappings there only.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on August 17, 2022 at 8am PDT.

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Users online (1,758)