cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Konditoren
Frequent Visitor

Connectors VS Flow

Hi, I'm brand new to powerapps and have a question regarding performance. 

I just implemented the Planner Connector to create a task using the CreateTaskV3 function, and it took me a while to figure out the parameters and such. Afterwards I realized just how much simpler (for a newbie) it would have been to just use the Create A Task flow-thingy and asking in power apps for dynamic content (Group Id, Plans Id etc.)

Seeking to justify the time-waste (although I guess it was a learning experience) I wondered if there's any significant performance difference between the two approaches? I'm thinking strictly from the user-perspective.

Is anything gained in terms of speed, performance, security or the like by using the connector in powerapps vs. creating a new flow and asking for dynamic content? Or visa-versa?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
timl
Super User
Super User

Hi @Konditoren 

Calling this task from Flow would be very slightly slower because it would incur the overhead of calling Flow, in addition to the overhead of calling the CreateTaskV3 function.

From an end user perspective, I would say that the difference would not be discernible. Security wise, the user would still authenticate to the Planner Connector through AAD authentication, so from this perspective, there wouldn't be a difference in security.

If anything, you would probably gain the ability to more easily build and diagnose the connection to Planner because you can more easily view the Flow history, and to be able to review the arguments that you pass.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
timl
Super User
Super User

Hi @Konditoren 

Calling this task from Flow would be very slightly slower because it would incur the overhead of calling Flow, in addition to the overhead of calling the CreateTaskV3 function.

From an end user perspective, I would say that the difference would not be discernible. Security wise, the user would still authenticate to the Planner Connector through AAD authentication, so from this perspective, there wouldn't be a difference in security.

If anything, you would probably gain the ability to more easily build and diagnose the connection to Planner because you can more easily view the Flow history, and to be able to review the arguments that you pass.

View solution in original post

Konditoren
Frequent Visitor

Makes sense!

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,671)