cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Funk-E-Guy
Regular Visitor

Contextually autofill an entry field from PowerBI? I'm seemingly unable to pull any data from PowerBIIntegration.

Hello. My end goal is to click on some data in PowerBI, and have it auto-fill a couple fields in the entry form in my PowerApp. However, I cannot seem to get any sort of connection to my data via PowerBIIntegration.

Here's the steps I've taken:

1. Create an Excel File on OneDrive with an empty table, with the following headers:
    • SKU
    • Marketplace
    • Action
    • Date
  2. Create an app in PowerApps, linking to my excel file in OneDrive.
  3. Save and publish the app.
  4. In PowerBI, I add a PowerApps visualization, and select my two datapoints; "SKU" and "Market"
  5. Click "Choose App", and select my app.
  6. Click "Go to Power Studios" to finalize the data connection and get PowerBIIntegration added.
  7. Alt-Click the "+" in my app, to go to the entry page.
  8. Click the Marketplace text field, and edit the default value.
    • I'm prompted to unlock the field, so I do so
  9. From other forum posts, I believe I'm supposed to enter a formula like this:
First([@PowerBIIntegration].Data).Market

But doing so has the red error squiggly under ".Market" saying "Name isn't Valid. This identifier isn't recognized."

I assume that it's unable to lookup any contextual data within the PowerApps creator, so I save and publish with the hopes that my formula works in the embedded version of the app in PowerBI.

However, when I refresh PowerBI, load the PowerApp, click the "+", and then click on a marketplace on a separate visual in PowerBI, nothing pops up in the entry form.

What am I missing or doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Funk-E-Guy
Regular Visitor

I solved the issue, but not in the way I had hoped.

Apparently if I try to inject my PowerBI model into an existing PowerApp, it only seems to be like half-linked to that app. Like, I can see the PowerBIIntegration node in the components pane, I can even write the formulas, but I can't actually get it to do anything.

Instead what I had to do was create a new PowerApp when prompted in PowerBI. So, add a PowerApp visual, pull in the fields I want shown in the app, then click Create New. This means that I have to create the app manually instead of using one of the template apps, which is unfortunate, but better than nothing.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Jacky_Shen
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi @Funk-E-Guy ,

Is that because your header name is "Marketplace" instead of "Market"? Please check.

Hi @Jacky_Shen,

In my Excel document, the header is "Marketplace", but in my PowerBI model the field that I want to autofill is "Market". So I was using "Market" for the PowerBIIntegration formula. Is that incorrect?

Funk-E-Guy
Regular Visitor

I solved the issue, but not in the way I had hoped.

Apparently if I try to inject my PowerBI model into an existing PowerApp, it only seems to be like half-linked to that app. Like, I can see the PowerBIIntegration node in the components pane, I can even write the formulas, but I can't actually get it to do anything.

Instead what I had to do was create a new PowerApp when prompted in PowerBI. So, add a PowerApp visual, pull in the fields I want shown in the app, then click Create New. This means that I have to create the app manually instead of using one of the template apps, which is unfortunate, but better than nothing.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (2,672)