cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GuyBoswell
Advocate II
Advocate II

Control Property "Name"

I am building an App screen with large number of text input controls.  During design phase, while I am moving the controls around the screen to see what looks good, I want to be readily able to see which control is which.  I think I want to set the default property for each text input control to something like Self.Name  Is there any such property?

There doesn't seem to be anything listed on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/reference-properties

I have tried Self.Name, Self.Title, Self.Label and various other random words but not found one that works.  

Is what I am trying to do possible?  Is there a better way to do it?

Thank you for your help.

Guy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mdevaney
Super User
Super User

@GuyBoswell 

No, there is not any way to call the control name dynamically using the Self property or any other method.  You must manually type it.

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mdevaney
Super User
Super User

@GuyBoswell 

No, there is not any way to call the control name dynamically using the Self property or any other method.  You must manually type it.

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

I don't believe that a "you can't do that" is a solution to accept. Either we can realize that the platform does not provide this capability, or suggest that it could be added in the future although there is no timeline.

The ability to reference the name of the control via a (read-only) property would be hugely valuable, especially for those that use the names of controls to drive understanding; it would be great to allow the names of the control to also drive functionality.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
User Group Leader Meeting January 768x460.png

Calling all User Group Leaders!

Don't miss the User Group Leader meetings on January, 24th & 25th, 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,442)