cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Convert Phone App to Tablet / Looking for an Update

I have a complex phone app, with around 20 pages that I need to convert to tablet. 

This tutorial (https://toddbaginski.com/blog/how-to-convert-a-powerapp-from-one-layout-to-another/) doesn't seem to work any longer. 

Looking for suggestions on how to quickly (relatively) convert the layout, resolution and orientation to tablet (landscape) from phone (portrait). 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Re: Convert Phone App to Tablet / Looking for an Update

Hello,

You can try to use the unsupported tools from Microsoft: https://github.com/microsoft/powerapps-tools

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AFWright ,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

Do you want to convert the Phone Layout canvas app into Tablet Layout app?

On your side, you could consider edit your Phone Layout app, then go to "File"-> "Settings"-> "Screen size + orientation" setting, then switch Orientation option from "Portrait" to "Landscape", re-adjust the controls within your app, then click "Save as" to save your canvas app as another different name.

In addition, I think the Responsive Layout functionality could also achieve your needs. You could consider configure your canvas app as a Responsive Layout canvas app, then your app can respond to different devices or window sizes, making various experiences feel more natural.

More details about creating a responsive layout app, please refer to the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/create-responsive-layout

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

I can confirm that unfortunately, this workaround no longer works. I notice that the app loads momentarily in tablet mode before displaying the following error.

image.png

There's a post in the ideas forum that I'd recommend that we vote on.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/Ability-to-convert-from-phone-layout-to-tablet-... 

In the meantime, the quickest thing might be to create a new tablet app, and to recreate each screen in the tablet app. For each new screen in your tablet app, you can use Ctrl-A Ctrl-C to copy all the controls from your old screen, and Ctrl-V to paste into your new screen. I appreciate this isn't ideal, but it might be a workable solution.

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi,

I can solve this conundrum, will turn the below reply into a blog post later.

To convert to Tablet from Phone layout:

save the .msapp file,

open it with 7Zip editor (Right click the .msapp and choose open archive),

extract properties.json

Change These settings:

- DocumentLayoutWidth

- DocumentLayoutHeight

- DocumentLayoutOrientation

- DocumentAppType
save the properties.json

insert the properties.json you saved back into the ZIP (by using drag-and-drop, as this does not affect the file)

Open the .msapp File from Powerapps (using create.powerapps.com > open)

image.png

Cheers,

Sancho

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Thanks for testing this @iAm_ManCat 

The strange thing is that I still cant get this work. I did just try changing those 4 properties the other day. I still get the same "error opening file" error.

Could you maybe try opening the file that I attempted to convert to see if it works for you? It's called TimsAppConverted. The original working file is called TimsAppOrginal.

Many thanks!

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

AHA!

Ok, so it seems certain zip managers change the .msapp in a way that breaks it, if you use 7zip and do those same steps, it works:

image.png

Cheers!

Sancho

@iAm_ManCat

Please 'Mark as Solution' if someone's post answered your question and always 'Thumbs Up' the posts you like or that helped you!

Thanks!
You and everyone else in the community make it the awesome and welcoming place it is, keep your questions coming and make sure to 'like' anything that makes you 'Appy
Sancho Harker, MVP

Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hello,

You can try to use the unsupported tools from Microsoft: https://github.com/microsoft/powerapps-tools

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Thanks @iAm_ManCat 

I can open the file that you converted so I'm really pleased that technically, this technique still works!

However, I still can't get this to work, even with 7zip. Prior to this, I tried using the built-in Windows file compression, and Winrar.

Could you check my 7zip settings? Apart from changing the Archive format to zip, do the other settings look ok?

image.png

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Try using drag-n-drop 😺

That's how I've managed to replace the existing properties file, I didn't use the specific Add To command as that alters the file I think

Also you dont have to save as a .zip, I leave it as a .msapp and then use 7Zip context menu of Open Archive 😀

@iAm_ManCat

Thanks!
Sancho Harker, MVP

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Thanks @iAm_ManCat - 7zip with drag-and-drop works!! Glad that mystery is solved.

Also, thanks @AllanDeCastro for the link to PowerApps tools. I think that's probably the easiest way to approach this task.

So within all of this, I think we've worked out that it's still possible to convert a phone to a tablet app.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020

Check out these cool Power Apps & vote on your favorite!

secondImage

Robotic Process Automation

Let's talk about the solution provided by Microsoft for Robotic Process Automation (RPA)

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,503)